Dang bugs!

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Dang bugs!

Post by Old Scribe »

The workbench in my shop also doubles as my reloading bench. At on end of the bench I've drilled various holes to mount my truuret press, PPM, single stage press, MEC 600, etc.
Every year the mud daubers and other little bee things (I call them leaf cutter bees) find the holes in my bench perfect for raising larve. A real P.I.T.A. Every time I want to use that end of the workbench I have to drill out the larve.
This year they even put a larve nest in the end of my pencil sharpener. The was the last straw!!
What I've done now is put a piece of that blue painters tape over the holes and no more plugged up holes. Some things just take me a bit longer to figure out than you'd think.

:oops:
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Dang bugs!

Post by bayou »

Simple is best.....
bayou
NRA Life Member
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hear you and I am the master of the mud dauber and blue tape on anything you don't want plugged in a couple hours time! I went a little further and installed a Country Vet Flying Insect Dispenser above my workbench as there was no way I could protect all my tools. The unit meters a spray every 15 minutes and a can of spray lasts 30 days. I use it during the dauber season, April 15th through September 15. I liked the performance so well, I place another by my primary entry door to keep the flies, bees, daubers, and mosquitoes away.

I buy the spray (& kits) through eBay or Amazon.

I did a little looking at these critters and they actually are working for you. They are present because you have a large number of spiders and they are very efficient at killing them. I do have a huge population of black widows and they really keep them at bay. I just don't want my tool box packed with mud. My grandson calls them mud dobblers.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

We have all of those pesky little buggers out here, I guess that's a virtue of this on going 20 yr drought. I remember as a kid all the guys at the airport passing around a 10 ft speedo/tach cable and a modified blower nozzle to get them out of the pitot tubes (airspeed indicator port). What an ugly mess when they sprayed out. Lol

I probably haven't seen a mud dobber in 7-8 year .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”