trisodium phosphate

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

trisodium phosphate

Post by daboone »

Anybody using trisodium phosphate as a guns parts cleaner or in their ultrasonic?
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: trisodium phosphate

Post by Maximumbob54 »

That seems pretty harsh for a cleaner. I've read most guys just use Simple Green if they don't use the recommended stuff. I've been curious if you couldn't just use a bit of citric acid like you would if you soaked the brass.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Maximumbob54 wrote:That seems pretty harsh for a cleaner. I've read most guys just use Simple Green if they don't use the recommended stuff. I've been curious if you couldn't just use a bit of citric acid like you would if you soaked the brass.

That is what they all say and stay away from the purple stuff but I think someone already pointed that out.
Je suis Charlie
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

62chevy wrote:
Maximumbob54 wrote:That seems pretty harsh for a cleaner. I've read most guys just use Simple Green if they don't use the recommended stuff. I've been curious if you couldn't just use a bit of citric acid like you would if you soaked the brass.

That is what they all say and stay away from the purple stuff but I think someone already pointed that out.

I used a lot of TSP back in the 70's with a power sprayer to clean out hog barns (farrowing house and weaning house) and it took everything right down to the white paint again. I now use a lot of acetic acid (vinegar) and citric acid (mostly use Lemi-Shine) to clean brass. I've heard of it, but don't really know what "Simple Green" looks like ... so is it the "purple stuff"? Just curious as to what the "purple stuff" is so I can stay away from it.

Not a jab ..... I really don't know.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

mr surveyor wrote:
62chevy wrote:

I used a lot of TSP back in the 70's with a power sprayer to clean out hog barns (farrowing house and weaning house) and it took everything right down to the white paint again. I now use a lot of acetic acid (vinegar) and citric acid (mostly use Lemi-Shine) to clean brass. I've heard of it, but don't really know what "Simple Green" looks like ... so is it the "purple stuff"? Just curious as to what the "purple stuff" is so I can stay away from it.

Not a jab ..... I really don't know.

jd
Simple Green is different than the Purple stuff, can't remember the name but is used a lot in auto repair shops. You will know it when you see it because well it's purple.
Je suis Charlie
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I remember something from back when I was a kid called "Mystery Oil (or solvent?)" that was purple. My Dad use a lot of that stuff to free up stuck, rusty parts. He usually bought it in quart cans.

I still don't know that I would soak any metal parts I wanted to keep pristine in any mixture of TSP, then again, I really don't know for sure.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

This is one I'm talking about;

Je suis Charlie

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”