LEE classic turret mods

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

LEE classic turret mods

Post by Fyodor »

Hey, forum,

At my last match I found problems with my .38spl ammo. Some cases are just a hair shorter than others, and on these my crimp was not suffitient. I had two rounds teleskoping together in the mag tube of my Winchester 66.

I got about 800 rounds of that ammo left, and I don't want to have that happen again. Decorking them, reuse powder and bullets would be too much of a hassle, so I thought I just put a bit more of a crimp on them. I can't put loaded rounds through my pro1000, so I needed another idea.

Just a few weeks ago I ordered a LEE classic turret, that arrived just in time for this project.

I put an Inline Fabrication reverse indexing rod on it, and the custom made four way case kicker. All I needed now was four identically set seat/crimp dies... or a non indexing turret. So I drilled out the square hole in the bottom of one of my turrets, and voila: a non indexing turret on a reverse indexing shaft with custom case kicker.

Please have a look on my video to see how it works. I didn't show the turret underside, I guess you all know how a hole looks like, and because I only had my mobile phone to capture the video, I couldn't feed cases. But it's obvious how it works.

[youtube][/youtube]
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: LEE classic turret mods

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Interesting modification. I've actually been thinking of doing a one time mass processing of all my pistol brass just to get it all the same length because of the same issue.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

All you need is a spare turret, and I used a countersink drill bit OD 16mm to clean out the square hole.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

Fyodor wrote:All you need is a spare turret, and I used a countersink drill bit OD 16mm to clean out the square hole.
Fyodor, you could have also removed the indexing rod and used the new primer arm case kicker :-)
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I could have done... If I already had it printed. I needed to dig out one of the primer arms from my collection to get the bottom part, because the sample was lost my the mail service. I guess I could have the first try made by mid of September. If that works, I'll have a few made and sent back. ;)

buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

Fyodor wrote:I could have done... If I already had it printed. I needed to dig out one of the primer arms from my collection to get the bottom part, because the sample was lost my the mail service. I guess I could have the first try made by mid of September. If that works, I'll have a few made and sent back. ;)
Thanks, I know another reloader here in Ohio with a 3D printer. If the files are compatible, he says he can print some for me closer to home.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Update, including pictures and new video (old one's gone):

This is the mod to the turret itself:
DSCN5886_resized.jpg
The setup... just on the bottom left edge of the pic you see a second acro bin left to the other one. I put the untreated cases there, ready to be picked up, and the machine will fill the right bin with the finished cases by itself. The reverse index rod came with a clamp-on chute for the bin, but when you put the bin on the far right, so it touches the press body, you don't need it. I only dropped two cases during my last session, and they flew over both bins :roll: then I slowed down a bit.
DSCN5889_resized.jpg
Close-up of the Inline Fabrication reverse indexing rod and custom 4-way case kicker. Note the orientation of the shellholder. I tried it in a more comfortable forward angle, but that didn't work well.
DSCN5888_resized.jpg
And now for some action:
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

That kicks the case out pretty good so you don't need a chute at all.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”