Simpson Strong Tie Bench?

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Simpson Strong Tie Bench?

Post by daboone »

Moving to Houston from Phoenix has me considering selling off my 4 of my 5 benches. I'm thinking of building 2 8ft x 2ft benches (32in high) with shelves below and pegboard back for shelves and pegboard hangers.

Have any of you used Simpson strong ties for building a bench? Are they strong and durable?

My other idea is to build the NRMA bench for reloading. IF I do that I still will need another 8ft bench for gun building and maintenance.

I welcome your input, ideas and suggestions or alternatives.

Thanks
Daniel
daboone
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Simpson Strong Tie Bench?

Post by Poppop »

I have over 30 years experience in the material handling equipment business. I found that steel work bench legs, stringers etc. will be more than enough support. You can look at a Grainger (who will sell retail) catalog for work bench accessories and look for legs and other accessories. Lowes/Home Depot - 2 layers of 3/4" plywood and glue smooth hardboard to the top of it. I've made all my workbenches with these components (bought legs, etc. directly from my mfgr-vendor). They are indestructible !!!
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Poppop, Thanks for the feedback. The benches I'm leaving behind all have Masonite glued/screwed down to the plywood. Masonite is a nice smooth surface, easy to clean and amazingly resist all kinds of abuse.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

A friend pointed out this site: Easy Heavy Duty Bench Can't get simpler than these plans.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”