Got a question

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Got a question

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I currently use my older bench mount PPM to measure black powder for my 40-65 and 45-70. I'm wondering if there is maybe a way to sort of semi automate the process by mounting a through expander powder die on my Rock Chucker and getting a auto measure to meter powder into the cases.I can turn a 45 bushing down to fit the 40-65s. So is this practical? What parts besides the measure and the die would I need to make it work? I've often thought about one of the Lee turrets for BP loading but haven't had the funds to go that route as yet.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Got a question

Post by buckeye43210 »

There's a youtube video of someone running their Pro Auto Disk on a Rock Chucker.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I do the opposite....Uniflow on a single stage Lee with powder through Lee expander.

I'm not sure how the reverse would be difficult.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

The Lee powder thru expander will work with the Lee auto disk with any press. It will not function the PPM.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The problem with the Auto Disk or Pro AD is that the instructions specifically state not to use the measures with black powder.
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

I use the pro AD with black powder. After initial treatment (levering one hopper full of powder through it), the hopper doesn't create any static any more. The graphite coating leaves a slight shimmer on the inside of the hopper, but that acts as a conductive coating.

Only disadvantage when using BP: The powder has some dry grease property, much like powdered graphite. This reduces the force necessary to reset the measure to a degree that it resets by gravity alone. Double feeds with BP are not critical, since you always have a fill ratio of about 105% anyway, but it is a huge annoyance to clean and disassemble the shellplate carrier on a progressive press. If used on a manually operated measure or a turret press, I don't see any problem here.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I wasn't considering the Autodisk as it doesn't throw the anywhere from 58 to 70 grains of powder (2Fg) that I need. It appears that the Autodrum might work it has the capacity but I'm frankly leery of the gears with BP. So is there an adapter to put a PPM current production on the powder through die. Since I use Track of the Wolf or Lyman M dies for expanding cases it looks like the powder through set of 2 would be the way to go. I comfortable using my bench mount PPM with BP and it doesn't look like the new models are much different.

All the information and data I've been able to find says you can not initiate black powder with static electricity and as I've noted in previous post I have a convenient ground on my bench that works to bleed off static from all the measures. Fine light powders meter better.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

Yes, Gun Guides makes adapters. You had us confused when you said you wanted to get an auto measure to meter powder into the cases...

GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have one of those. Not sure who made it.

Mine is hexagonal. I think.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have one of those. Not sure who made it.

Mine is hexagonal. I think.
Gun Guides also makes hexagonal ones.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”