Auto Drum Overhaul?

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Auto Drum Overhaul?

Post by daboone »

My Auto Drum started misbehaving. I figured some of the plastic parts might be part of the problem, as they have seen some serious use in the last few years. Thankfully RD posted in another thread he had had the same problem. He stated he had removed them, the plastic parts, cleaned and replaced them to solve the problem. I had already ordered the parts from Lee so I've started the process of taking the AD apart. Getting the sector gears out was straight forward. (This was made easier cuz I already had a spanner tool designed for removing retainer clips.) Now however I've hit a snag. How is the arm that rotates the sector gears removed???? It's a part that the disconnected was attached to.(AM3041 G). It ascends from part AM3041 B. Getting that part out baffles me as well.

I've googled for videos and info of any kind and got nada results. So please come to my rescue! I'm going to call Lee in a minute to get some help but looking forward to any and all help.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Auto Drum Overhaul?

Post by daboone »

I just talked to a very informative gentleman at Lee Precision. He stated that the parts I described were from the first generation of the Auto Drum and is now sending me all the replacement parts for freHe is also cancelling the order I made yesterday. :D Then he said to call him back when I got them if I needed any further assistance.

In the meantime, just a moment ago, my daughter called so I'm headed to Sugarland for the next 2 weeks as my daughter has asked for some help and I I don't go she want the father's day gift I got back. ;) In other words she is desperate and on the verge of killing her husband, kids and me if I don't go! :roll: :D The result is I won't follow up on this project till I return to Phoenix. Forgive me for starting this and not sticking around to pursue this for awhile. :oops:

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I just got the zero dollar purchase order email from Lee. It has only these parts listed:
AM3041G Connecting Rod
AM3041E Cover
So there weren't that many upgrades. I'm still stumped on how to remove the existing connecting rod. so any suggestion would be appreciated.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't remember having any issue taking the parts apart and snapping them all back together, but it has been awhile. I'm in MN and won't see my bench for another five days yet. The fastest course of action would be to contact Lee again and ask them how to do it in that they offer the improved parts

Close up pictures of both new and old parts would be nice to see what the changes are.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Got it apart and it took some thinking whining finagling and LarryW volunteering to come over to actually get it apart. Now putting it back together again will be another story. It will actually take LarryW to attempt to supervise me until I just beg him to do it. :roll: :oops:

It would be simpler to buy a new AD but LarryW's wife needed an excuse to get him outta the house. ;) I'll be leaving tomorrow so I won't tell "the rest of the story" till I get back.

GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I am kinda mostly between Sugarland and AZ so wave when you go by.

I like taking things apart. My disease started at age 8 when I could do so and diagnose but not reassemble. I'm doing better now. You'll be fine.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

GasGuzzler wrote: I like taking things apart. My disease started at age 8 when I could do so and diagnose but not reassemble. I'm doing better now. You'll be fine.
Don't know exactly when it started for me, but do know it was my folks wind up alarm clocks a couple times.
Came apart pretty much ok, but that back together thing didn't work so well. :o :o :o
Hey Dan, you reading this?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

larryw wrote: Came apart pretty much ok, but that back together thing didn't work so well. :o :o :o
Don't chicken out on me now! :P ;)

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:
larryw wrote: Came apart pretty much ok, but that back together thing didn't work so well. :o :o :o
Don't chicken out on me now! :P ;)
Who's the one who took off!

Defending larry...
Michael
larryw

Post by larryw »

Thanks Michael.