Mould handles

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Mould handles

Post by RBHarter »

A little discussed thing that thankfully doesn't need to be done to often in mould maintenance .
New grips on the handles .
"My mould takes Lee commercial handles when they give up I just get a new set . They're only $12 ...."
That's fine but this set is on an 8 cavity H&G that later on may as well have had matching number handles and it sold for $214 delivered in 1992 , so the $12 Lee fits most won't fly . Besides this was cheaper and I like cheap fixes that guys can make look good and these don't look bad even in my low grade finish skills . I don't do finish work I can never tell when it's done .
I bought 2 3/4" copper sweat couplings and snagged a broken broom handle from a cheap push broom these are too short but will do for now .
Basically I cut the broom handle off in 7" pieces , fine for Lee commercial handles and 2-6 cavity aluminum moulds they should be about 10" for this monster .
Then I used a bench belt sander and turned the ends down to just slip about 1/4" into the coupling and drilled a 3/8" hole deep enough to hold the handle shank about 4" in this case .
Next I drove the coupling on with a soft face hammer to the seating rib , half the depth of the coupling . I then cut it off with a tubing cutter and used the other piece on the other end . These are on as a tight crush fit about 1/4" passed any taper to fit the coupling ID .
The reason for doing both ends is that when I started drilling I discovered that this broom handle was split bamboo and infact 4 pieces .
When I was done I pinned through the handle with a piece of #12 copper wire and peened it flush with the drilled coupling .
The handle shanks fit tight and further swell the wood, bamboo in this case , against the copper ferrels . The only bug might be the heat transfer from the handle shank to the mould end ferrel through the pin .

The finished product .
IMG_20181213_143155777~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Mould handles

Post by Et2ss »

RBHarter wrote: and I like cheap fixes

I like them as well.

Good job! Most people would gaff tape what's left together and trudge on.

The handles you made look good
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice work.

I have three pairs of Lee six-cavity handles, and I need to drill and pin them as I haven't found a glue that will stand the temperature. Never think of it until it is time to use them!

A bit back, when NOE had a large discount sale, I applied it to a set of their handles (which fit the Lee six-cavity molds). Normally, they are twice what the Lee's are, but the deal brought it in closer. They are well worth the money.
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Nice job, good looking work..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hey RB,

I'm always glad to read how people fix things well with what they have on hand. You got it done! Nice.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

I like it! I have enough "stuff" in a corner of my garage to fix broken whatever. My wife says I'm cheep, NOT. Innovative maybe. :lol:
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”