Little Handy powder thingy

Using something else, show & tell us what you have! Includes products from other manufacturers.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Little Handy powder thingy

Post by Old Scribe »

A buddy of mine told me about RCBS's Little H any Powder measure. He says it's easy and the best measure he's ever used for small case calibers. Anybody here familiar with this device?
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Little Handy powder thingy

Post by daboone »

I think your referring to the Little Dandy PM. In some ways it is very much like the Lee auto disks in that the bushing for the Little Dandy are factory set as the holes in the Lee Auto Disk are. The Lee auto disk is less expensive by a huge margin and has other options that allow it to be more versatile.

At this time I'll get in my pulpit. :twisted: :roll: ;)
When anyone says a specific measure is the best I have to ask them about what powder he is using.
I've found every PM made has some powders it works very well with and some that it doesn't.
There are other factors that come into play like how the measure is handled or used and the consistency of how it used/handled. Another is the users expectations. There is no PM that will drop over and over the exact same # of grains. Expecting anything better than +/- .2 grains consistently is best left to scales. I have PMs that I trust to drop .01 consistently but only with specific powders and I have learned the technique with that measure that work well with that specific powder to accomplish that consistency. So when you say "small case calibers" understand that .2 gr can be dangerous in a small caliber.
OK I'll quit preaching and shut up. :o ;)
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I agree with pretty much everything Daboone just typed out. I will add that the Little Dandy always seems odd to me in that it's rotary and isn't adjustable. I don't get the point. The Uniflow would seem to be the obvious upgrade to having to swap out and collect all the little inserts. And I want to say there is an older brand that the Little Dandy copied. I remember it was blue instead of green.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Maximumbob54 wrote: And I want to say there is an older brand that the Little Dandy copied. I remember it was blue instead of green.
I know Lyman's and Bair both made predecessors to the Little Dandy. The Acculine and the Bair 315 pistol measure. Both had bushings/rotors for adjusting charges. There is a guy making adjustable rotors for the Little Dandy. He posts over on Cast Boolits and Handloadersbench.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Bair, that's it. I don't think they were or all are interchangeable either.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Old Scribe »

I was just curious. I'm quite pleased with the way my Auto Disk functions. I also use the Perfect Powder Measure for some of my powders.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I have a Pacific Pistol Powder Measure that uses bushings in a slider. I believe the Little Dandy uses set capacity drums. I have about 15 bushings and about 4 or 5 "custom" bushings. It is surprisingly consistent with Unique, Bullseye, and W 231.

Return to “All Other Powder Handling Tools”