Primer went off

The little red box that started it all!
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Primer went off

Post by bayou »

Thankfully, I've never experienced a primer detonation. But you know how that goes - when you do something long enough....

I read on another forum where a guy was trying to seat a high primer on a fully loaded round. You guessed it - he wound up with shapnel in the wrist and arm, hospital, stitches, etc. Scary even to think about it...

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Steelbanger »

I had an accidental incident with a shotshell primer over 50 years in the past and I still remember it like it just happened. My loader was the original Lee and I suppose I was putting too much energy to the hammer while seating primers and the one went off. As I recall it was pretty loud and blackened the surface of the wooden lid of the box I used to store my loading tools in. That incident put the manners to me for sure and it has never happened again.
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

I just had my first ever primer go off on me last night in my Lee Loader in 45/70. The only thing I can figure is
I hit it too hard with my plastic mallet. Made me jump, a little. First time for everything, I guess. I stll like my loaders tho.

Like to find one in .35 Remington.

barracudadave67
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

The idea of tapping a primer into place gives me shivers especially with a load of powder. I use both the on press "Safety" primer and the handheld Lee Auto primer. Of the two I prefer the handheld for swaged open crimped primer pockets as I can more easily feel a primer start to jam. I can then simply remove the case, put it aside and deprime later. In most cases the primer can be reused as long as it hasn't deformed.
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

I have always hand primed - 30+ yrs. RCBS hand priming tool. But always wear safety glasses just in case. Can't imagine a primer going off in a progressive...
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by GRV01 »

Until i get a new die set strictly for 38SPL i use my Lee Loaders to make that ammo

However i prime with the Ram Prime on the Hans Press. Feels both Faster and safer. Whats not to like?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Pop'm if you got'm!
Michael

Return to “Lee Loader®”