Primer Plate Sticky

The little red box that started it all!
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Primer Plate Sticky

Post by cj8281 »

My latest acquisition, Loader in 243 arrived. Came with 2 of the load charts, they were stuck together and a sticky priming base. The plate moves but sticks with any little movement. It seemed really sticky to the touch. Got out the brake clean and hosed it out, 3 times. The last time, very little if any brown muck came out. No longer sticky to the touch and doesn't stick or get cocked sideways as easily but still does. In another thread, I believe it was Ranch Dog that said to keep the priming plate oiled. Would you just oil this around the outside of the plate and I am assuming that very little oil should be used, would hate to have that migrate and start contaminating primers. I was thinking along the lines of light sewing machine oil or light 3 in 1.

I was looking through the parts on Lee Precision and noticed that the priming bases are bare, no seating stem. I am assuming that the seating stems are threaded like the pistol seaters. The area around the seating stem on this 243 has some hard gunk stuck to it. Maybe a previous owner used something for a thread lock. Maybe that something found its way into the spring area of the priming chamber. The rest of the kit looks clean.

The charge tables are dated 1977, there is no date on the instructions. The instructions do list 110 Lee Loader kits though. I believe that this is the newest one in the old style that I have seen. Still has the cubic inch powder scoop, the 167 IIRC.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Primer Plate Sticky

Post by Ranch Dog »

I oil mine with 3 in 1. I don't think there is a problem with the oil getting to the primer as it stays in place and the plate flexes out down.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Primer Plate Sticky

Post by mikld »

I would prolly use what ever is handy from Outers gun oil to 5-20 motor oil, to Kroil. (I keep some 2 cycle motor oil in a squeeze bottle on my bench and it works as well as most for everyday stuff). The way the priming base works, contaminating a primer would be difficult, the cup would have to be filled with oil...

Return to “Lee Loader®”