Advice please, best deal on 9mm Luger Loader?

The little red box that started it all!
oldfart64
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Advice please, best deal on 9mm Luger Loader?

Post by oldfart64 »

where is the best deal on a 9mm classic loader? Hopefully with free shipping (retired guy on budget)
Regards from
THE Old Fart

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Advice please, best deal on 9mm Luger Loader?

Post by akuser47 »

Ebay, if your careful will be the best deal I've seen lately. I think second to that would be Midway USA not free shipping, but best deal at times for large commercial shop. Also if your brave don't be afraid of getting one used LEE sells and sometimes give missing parts to their costumers so used in some cases will save you a lot. Check your local craiglists for deals and watch your paper for estate sales. You can almost steal small item like this at times or buy a large lot with it and sell off what you don't need. If your wanting new with free shipping though ebay is best I have seen. Keep us posted if you discover a better deal. We all may learn of something new like a better online shop. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by cj8281 »

Don't look for just the 9mm, look for 38 spl and the 357 mag also. The decapping base is the main difference, the scoop is a second difference. Obviously the charge card is different. In the new kits the 9mm and the 38 spl have the same size scoop, the .5. In the older kits the 38 had the 020 scoop, the 9mm had the 039 scoop and the 357 had the 052 scoop. The Die bodies are the same. I have sized 9mm, 38 spl and 357 brass with all three of my kits and they all basically measured the same. The reason the decapping base is different is the 9mm is shorter than the 38 and 357, so they make the base thicker to hold the 9mm case up higher. That way they don't have to make a longer bullet seater.
If you get a 38 or 357 kit, just contact Lee precision and order the decapping base for the 9mm and the appropriate charge card and scoop (if it is different).
One other very important thing, make sure that you size the 9mm case flush with the base of the die. Otherwise the case won't properly hold the bullet tight enough. Had this issue with my neighbor when he was trying it out.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been finding a bunch of my reloading and shoot stuff through Walmart as of late. Here is a link to the Lee Loader for the 9mm Luger. The one thing I'm mindful of when purchasing from Walmart is that they are going to charge me the Texas Sales Tax (8.25%), so I weigh that against shipping from other sources. So the kit through them for $31 would have $2.56 in State Sales Tax if I purchased it.

I usually start with Titan Reloading as they are going to be a bit less than MidwayUSA but in that Titan is twice the distance from me as MidwayUSA as the cheapest (both $29), Titan is going to be more for shipping. So, an in-store pickup at Walmart would be a better deal by $5 over either of my normal sources.

I've also bought a bunch of reloading stuff through eBay sellers over the years, but it is mostly retailers now and not so good deals. It is easy to get the best prices with shipping through their sort which would be $34 this morning. There are no used 9mm Luger kits on auction now but honestly; they have been going for as much as the new kits.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I just sold both a 9mm and .357 loader. I have two extra flare inserts if anyone needs them. Always compare eBay to Amazon as Amazon will put on big sales sometimes. They also sometimes charge tax. I prefer eBay but money is money (usually).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I purchased reloading dies, twice, on ebay. Never again. Both dies sets had been abused and if I wasn't a lifelong machinist/mechanic, I wouldn't have been able to fix them. I would suggest you just "bite the bullet" and get a Lee Loader from Titan or FS Reloading and pay $30.00 for the kit and $8.00 to $11.00 for shipping (FS is a bit cheaper https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-c ... 90254.html) . Buying used I'd have to have the kit/tool in my hand to inspect it because a hammer/mallet is involved with the use of the Loader and you never know what kind of gorilla used a 24oz framing hammer on it.

Don't forget the other stuff you'll need like calipers and a good reloading manual (perhaps a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. Purchase or check one out from your local library).
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

I got lucky on my 357 loader, it was less than $20, my 9mm was $31 shipped. My 38 spl was from a local source for $20 IIRC. I purposely looked for the older ones as I like the older scoops. I can always get new scoops and charge cards.
Last edited by cj8281 on 18 Jul 2017 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ummmm....you can buy new on eBay. $34-36.

Amazon $31.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I've bought just about all of my hardware from Natchez Shooting Supply ... I have no idea how many pennies I could save by looking elsewhere ... don't really matter as they almost always have what I need.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
oldfart64
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by oldfart64 »

thanks to all, I appreciate, I got it at a local gun shop. best price, no shipping, supporting small local business, what could be better than that?
Regards from
THE Old Fart

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Return to “Lee Loader®”