Questions About Lee Loader Sets

The little red box that started it all!
LeeJames42
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Questions About Lee Loader Sets

Post by LeeJames42 »

Not too surprising that the .308 Norma Magnum sold that quickly. It is a rare caliber and was a low production set, so it is attractive to the collector group. Lee Loader's in the "out of production" category are beginning to go up in price just as the collecting of Lee Loaders is beginning attract more people into their group. I sold a bunch of the out of date sets last year and now am kicking myself but good over it. One of them was a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser set, a really rare one. james
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Forgot about all this. I priced the NM set at that price because of the old west sound of 44.40 and because I wasn’t trying to make a killing.

I have two brand new 9mm flare inserts I’ll give away if anyone needs one. I might keep one just because it might be useful making something custom.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Darto
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Darto »

cj8281 wrote:The one with no instructions maybe a 9mm. Please look at the decapping base. Is the bottom of it thick or thin? The thick ones look like they are only bored out about half way. The 38 spl/357 look to be bored out most of the way down.
Another hint, the 38 spl and 357 mags usually come with a flaring tool, the 9mm does not.
Measurements of the decapping base: They are both about 7/8 of an inch tall (22.25mm)
38 spl/357 the base is about a ¼ inch thick (6mm), the hole is bored down about 3/4 of an inch (19mm)
9mm the base is about ½ inch thick (13mm), the hole is bored down about 3/8 of an inch (10mm).

According to my new version charge cards, both the 9mm and the 38 spl use the .5cc powder scoop, the 357 mag uses the .7cc scoop. In the older sets, the 38 spl and 9mm had different sized scoops. The 38 has a 020 scoop (.327cc) and the 9mm has a 039 scoop (.639cc).

All the other parts are the same, including the die body. I have loaded 357s with my 9mm die body and loaded 9mm using the 38 spl. body. They are the same.
Is it possible to load 9mm cartridges with a 38 spl. Lee Loader except for the scoop size? Do you have to use the 9mm base to load 9mm cartridges, or can you use the 38 spl. base to load 9mm cartridges?

Thank you.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Darto wrote:
cj8281 wrote:The one with no instructions maybe a 9mm. Please look at the decapping base. Is the bottom of it thick or thin? The thick ones look like they are only bored out about half way. The 38 spl/357 look to be bored out most of the way down.
Another hint, the 38 spl and 357 mags usually come with a flaring tool, the 9mm does not.
Measurements of the decapping base: They are both about 7/8 of an inch tall (22.25mm)
38 spl/357 the base is about a ¼ inch thick (6mm), the hole is bored down about 3/4 of an inch (19mm)
9mm the base is about ½ inch thick (13mm), the hole is bored down about 3/8 of an inch (10mm).

According to my new version charge cards, both the 9mm and the 38 spl use the .5cc powder scoop, the 357 mag uses the .7cc scoop. In the older sets, the 38 spl and 9mm had different sized scoops. The 38 has a 020 scoop (.327cc) and the 9mm has a 039 scoop (.639cc).

All the other parts are the same, including the die body. I have loaded 357s with my 9mm die body and loaded 9mm using the 38 spl. body. They are the same.
Is it possible to load 9mm cartridges with a 38 spl. Lee Loader except for the scoop size? Do you have to use the 9mm base to load 9mm cartridges, or can you use the 38 spl. base to load 9mm cartridges?

Thank you.
The 38 spl and 9mm Luger are two totally different animals. Not only different diameter projectiles (for the most part) but totally different brass casing configuration. The .38 spl, not only being rimmed, is a much longer straight walled case .... the .9mm Luger, shorter oal, is a tapered case. The same sizing die just ain't gonna work on the two.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

That depends, do you have the newer or older Lee Loader for 38 spl? If you have the older one (paper box) then yes you can load the 9mm with it. The older kits only had one die that they used in the 357 mag, 38 spl and the 9mm kits. The difference is in the decapping chamber. The base is thicker to hold the case up higher in the die so when you seat a bullet the seating stem will reach. I believe they only made one seating stem for the 9mm, 38 spl and 357. I will have to pull each of them out and measure and check to see if the bullet ends are the same shape.
I have all 3 of these in the older kits. I have reloaded a 38 spl in each die, I have reloaded a 9mm in each of these dies.
Here are the measurements of the mouth of the case after resizing each.

Die 38 spl 9mm 357
38 .3745 .374 .374
9mm .3785 .3775 .378
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I guess I can still reply because I'm the OP...found some other weird Loaders...I'll probably put them up for sale this weekend.
  • .264 Win Mag (black dipper)
  • .308 Norma Mag (black dipper, missing charge table)
  • .244/6mm (black dipper)
  • .300 H&H Mag (old cardboard box style but yellow dipper?)
An OLD .45 Colt came with but I'm keeping it. It needs a dipper and charge card. Anyone know what number dipper should be in there? I have some old black ones. Need to get a card for the .45C and the .308NM too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:An OLD .45 Colt came with but I'm keeping it. It needs a dipper and charge card. Anyone know what number dipper should be in there? I have some old black ones. Need to get a card for the .45C and the .308NM too.
I will look at my kit in a bit. My dog sleeps in front of the door and if I wake him; well, it is worse than waking up a kid. I can't even remember if my 45 Colt kit is current, old, older or daboone/horseman old!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

My new style 4-die press set has a 0.7 yellow scoop so I'll go out on a limb and say my vintage Lee Loader in .45 Colt needs a black 039 dipper...AND I HAVE ONE!

Time to contact Lee for instruction sheets and load cards (they likely won't have). Anyone know a source for the charge cards?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sorry about that GG, got tied up today with non-reloading stuff. I have the original Modern Loading, the paperback, and it list all the data based on the CI dippers (metal and black) rather than the yellow CC dippers.

That data featured fewer loads than the yellow sets offered and many of the listed powders are no longer available. Here is what would have come with the black dipper kits.
45Colt_data.jpg
Lee will sell you a new card for the yellow dipper for a $1 plus shipping or I can send you that as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is the current 45 Colt load card based on the .7 dipper. If you want a dipper, PM me your USPS stuff.\\
45Colt_data_current.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael

Return to “Lee Loader®”