Small things i would like to see

Do you have a product idea for Lee Precision?
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is not associated with Lee Precision, this is just a customer based discussion of product ideas.
Chickenthief
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Small things i would like to see

Post by Chickenthief »

A set screw for the screw holding the sprue plate on all moulds. They changed it to left hand thread but it still works loose and stays that way if not held in place.

Mould handles pinned in place.

A ring taking up the slag in the expander dies (i really hate it going up and down in there making my press strokes longer than nessesary), no i dont prime through it and neither do many others. I dont run a progressive.

Lee dont make tumblers because Old Man Lee thinks it introduses abrasives into the dies. Well it is now the 21'st century and we have wet tumbling with SS pins, so maybe a wet tumbler?

Maybe a series of gas check makers?

Case holder sets with all sizes?
If they make me buy some i will never need, it will be easier if i dont have to buy additional ones i do need.

Maybe some HP moulds?
They make the 405-459-HB mould so the technology is there.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Small things i would like to see

Post by RBHarter »

Good gravy ! All the shell holders in 1 kit ? I think I have 16 different holders and I don't even work with anything exotic and I'm 1 short ........ ok maybe 45 auto rim is a little of the path but not very far and Colts holders should fit Schofields any way .....

I know you cast some , expanders are easy to make and NOE offers them as through powder inserts .

I have actually only had 1 handle come loose since then a firm seating whack is part of my prep . Then again living where I am now with generally sub 30% humidity year around may keep the issue hidden away from me ...... in 9 yr I'm yet to pin or epoxy handles .

Gas check tools now you're talking. They would have to be cost effective, I can only see 1 or 2 calibers now that I would use enough checks in the next 5 yr to justify a free chex or Pat Marlins, it takes 10,000 checks to be ahead on the tools so probably 12,000 to get the 1st free 1 .

I haven't had a sprue plate back of yet even on the ones I've disassembled. ....... I did have 1 but when I looked it all over and put it back it has stayed put. A mechanical lock on shrink swell parts is always a good idea but the engineering scholars would argue that aluminum grows faster than steel so the screws are self locking and /or a set screw is subject to the same forces and would work loose as well.

Frankfort Arsenal and Harbor Freight are as cheap as it gets ,to look at the vibration tumblers I'd bet they just change plastic colors every morning for each brand ..... a wet tumbler at half of the others would be nice.

HP moulds ........ they do make an HB slug mould it's not that big a jump from HB to HP....

What I'd like is a primer swager right at the moment.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Chickenthief
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Chickenthief »

I do most of the things myself.

Maybe i'm spastic but for some reason i tend to loosen the sprue plate screw and more often than not a handle.
So part of my Lee mending is: Deburr cavities, drill for set screw and pin handles. Then i sand the lacquer of the handles, i hate that don't know why but i dont like working with them lacqured.

I do turn a plastic bushing and put it into all my powder through expander dies, and i turn an expander if need be. But i would cough up a dollar or two anyday instead of making one.

Gaschecks are way expensive this pondside so i only need to make something like 3000 in 45 cal to pay for copper sheet and a $100 checkmaker.

As to the wet tumbler, they cost north of $250 + taxes when on my doorstep.
Since everything Lee makes are cheaper than others i will asume that a tumbler will be more cost effective.
I have one now made from a windshield viper motor and some 8" PVC tubing. It works but i would like a decent one with a little bling :)
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The rotory tumblers are almost that here .

I maDE several expanders and flare pins for assorted applications. It just hasn't been a big deal I guess.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I second a Lee HP mold. I wouldn't even mind if it was just a simple cheap single cavity mold. Offer at least a couple of classics like a .358" 158gr SWCHP.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

I'm still waiting for the press mounted push-through bullet puller they've shown in a teaser, but never made...

And of course the "classic 1000", the pro1000 with the classic turret body.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Fyodor wrote:I'm still waiting for the press mounted push-through bullet puller they've shown in a teaser, but never made...
Yep and the Auto-Drum Powder Measure too. http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-ha ... er-measure
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

daboone wrote:
Fyodor wrote:I'm still waiting for the press mounted push-through bullet puller they've shown in a teaser, but never made...
Yep and the Auto-Drum Powder Measure too. http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-ha ... er-measure

And I thought the Lee Classic Powder Measure took its place. My bad.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Product Ideas”