Press mounted bullet puller???

Do you have a product idea for Lee Precision?
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is not associated with Lee Precision, this is just a customer based discussion of product ideas.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Press mounted bullet puller???

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:But I'm all ears on how to solve the problem. May not be necessary as my cast bullets that drop at .310 and .311 will not drop through just the Hornady at .308.
Carefully measure your existing mandrel, preferably with a micrometer rather than a caliper, and make an appropriate adjustment down in size. Then order a Lee Custom Undersized Mandrel for $5 plus shipping.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
62chevy wrote:But I'm all ears on how to solve the problem. May not be necessary as my cast bullets that drop at .310 and .311 will not drop through just the Hornady at .308.
Carefully measure your existing mandrel, preferably with a micrometer rather than a caliper, and make an appropriate adjustment down in size. Then order a Lee Custom Undersized Mandrel for $5 plus shipping.
OK thanks Now I have to dig out my micrometer Lord only knows what box it is in. :lol:
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I've turned several custom expander rods since I started casting . Its not that big a deal to turn them even if you only have a drill press . I turn mine on on a drill press w/CRS and a couple of files and finish w/ 280 400 and 000 steel wool. I turn mine and add a set screw for changable decapping pins from 270 up .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Hummm?? Weird one?? Well, if I were having that problem, first thing I would do, just for giggles,
is make absolutely sure of bore size with a proper slug job, Make absolutely sure of my
bullet size, I would then make sure of my neck sizer inside dia? & my expander plug
diameter? Something's afoul in the hen house somewhere??
Sure will be interested to know what you find is the culprit..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Steve

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:I saw that video on this site some place. An inexpensive bullet puller sure would be nice. Those kinetic pullers don't work all that good and are messy.

I'll be using the universal flaring die when I get all my lead boolits lubed and sized.

What I'd like to see is a neck sizing die that actually sizes the neck instead of making it sorta round. The Hornady 150 gr just fell though some of my Federal once fired brass.
What did you use to neck size the brass with?
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:
What did you use to neck size the brass with?[/quote]

The Lee die that came with the die set. The three die set that comes with the setting die, collet neck sizing die and the full length sizing die. In the Turret is the neck sizing die powder through die seating die and crimp die. Not sure I have the neck sizing die setup properly. Took it apart and it didn't look like it sized the neck just expanded it.
Je suis Charlie
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

The Green Horn blues or laughing at my self

Post by 62chevy »

Figured it out +guns Re-read the instructions and realizing it must have a collet checked the setting then gave it another 1 flat turn then the 25 pounds+ of force and wallah the neck is sized. Now I'm a happy camper.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Re: The Green Horn blues or laughing at my self

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:Figured it out +guns Re-read the instructions and realizing it must have a collet checked the setting then gave it another 1 flat turn then the 25 pounds+ of force and wallah the neck is sized. Now I'm a happy camper.
Take apart your neck sizing die. (Edited this Line 5-18-14)
These are the parts to lube. I ruined these parts because of not lubricating and over tightening. I now lube my collet dies with a very conservative amount of Permatex Anti-Sieze on the areas that show the ware in these pictures. On one die I even expanded the short piece from having it set too tight.
collet-1.jpg
Next 2 pictures show gauled area from no lube and over tightening.
collet-2.jpg
collet-3.jpg
Now when I setup a lubricated collet die I do the following:
Tighten it a little at a time until it does 1 of the following.
1. Reduces the neck to the required amount.
2. By measuring the outside of the case neck I find the last 1/8 turn does not reduce size. This is over tightened, back it off 1/8 turn.
3. If # 1 and 2 do not give me the required neck tension I reduce the mandril size with 600 grit emery cloth by spinning it in a drill. then repeat nomber 1 and 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steve on 18 May 2014 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Good info Steve but are you talking about the cap screw on top of the die. I have Permatex so I'll do that next time it gets used.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:Good info Steve but are you talking about the cap screw on top of the die. I have Permatex so I'll do that next time it gets used.
The lube goes on the areas shown in the pictures that have gauled surfaces. Be really stingy with the anti-sieze. You don't want it getting in the case neck.

Return to “Product Ideas”