RB moulds

Do you have a product idea for Lee Precision?
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is not associated with Lee Precision, this is just a customer based discussion of product ideas.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

RB moulds

Post by RBHarter »

I have a 00B chain mould,a 6 cavity mould block that casts 18 balls. They also produce a 12 ball .490 similarly done w/2 per cavity. I wish they would do the same w/the other RB moulds, I could cast about all I could shoot for a yr in my C&B revolvers in an hr or so instead of an afternoon.
Of course they would run a 380 or a 454 for just $65 and $175 set up, which wouln't be too bad if there were 20 buyers for each. There are smaller outfits that might cut individual 5 cavity moulds w/mixed cavities IE 6 380s w/6 454s for about $100 each which is pretty cheap as far as custom 5 cav moulds go.

Anyway more 12-18 cavity ball choices. That would be nice.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: RB moulds

Post by Ranch Dog »

This would be nice! I have a number of the buckshot mold and round ball molds that match the groove of most of my leverguns. I would work with those more if the were more that single or double cavity molds. I often start a casting session with a double cavity mold and quit after 15 minutes or so. Production is just too slow after working with six cavity molds.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

In my search for the gang/chain moulds I found a dealer that carries 6C Lee RB moulds at $55 ea.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:In my search for the gang/chain moulds I found a dealer that carries 6C Lee RB moulds at $55 ea.
Who? Please post a link!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I wonder if they perhaps buy 50-100 at a time of each size they aren't shown by Lee as a regular item.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1202/1
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:I wonder if they perhaps buy 50-100 at a time of each size they aren't shown by Lee as a regular item.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1202/1
This is exactly what I've been looking for! They probably order 100 at a time.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've started to look at round balls in my R92 357 Mag levergun as a replacement for 22 rimfire critter getters. The only use I had for a rimfire has been for pest extermination so I've been testing the R92 & a .360 RB as a replacement. I actually sat down and ordered RB molds for my 44 Mag & 45 Colt as well. I notice Trail of the Wolf has a .480, that would be a special order on their part, so it will be bought for my R92 chambered in 480 Ruger.

There hasn't been any rimfire ammo on the shelf here in the closest town for six years now and I'm not willing to pay the online prices I've seen. A loaded 357 Mag round ball cartridge costs me 19¢ which includes an amortized cost of replacing my casting and reloading equipment. A third or half of the cost of what I've seen rimfire going for online.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

If you need to order 22s or any caliber try this site: http://gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

It's also good for all reloading stuff too like powder, brass and bullets.
Je suis Charlie
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Ranch Dog wrote:I've started to look at round balls in my R92 357 Mag levergun as a replacement for 22 rimfire critter getters. The only use I had for a rimfire has been for pest extermination so I've been testing the R92 & a .360 RB as a replacement. I actually sat down and ordered RB molds for my 44 Mag & 45 Colt as well. I notice Trail of the Wolf has a .480, that would be a special order on their part, so it will be bought for my R92 chambered in 480 Ruger.

There hasn't been any rimfire ammo on the shelf here in the closest town for six years now and I'm not willing to pay the online prices I've seen. A loaded 357 Mag round ball cartridge costs me 19¢ which includes an amortized cost of replacing my casting and reloading equipment. A third or half of the cost of what I've seen rimfire going for online.

I assume that would be single shot "drop 'em in from the top" loading? I've been interested in the round ball for light loads in 38/357, 44 and 30-30 for a while, but don't know enough to even start. Not sure whether to start with RB's .003-.004 over and use a sizer to knock them down to a couple thousandths (and a finish dab of Alox), or if there's more to it. I've heard "older folks" say they never even sized the brass ... just punched the spent primers, pushed in a new one, dipped their powder load and thumbed in a round ball. They described it as "child's play" as that was how they got most of their early shooting in when growing up.

So many things to try, and so little time left to get it all tried. :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

If you have an already cast friendly bbl in 38/357 an alox'd unsized 360 crimped at or just over the equater w/something in the neighborhood of 2.0 Red Dot,Promo, or Unique. Real cat sneeze loads up to about 4.0 for 44s and 45s.

1.7-1.9 will 7mm and 30 cals in 06'class cases clear of the muzzle in 22-24'' bbl 130-200 gr cast. You will of course have to adjust for your particular needs. Also there are moulds called swc that actually weigh less than RB or very close to it . 454s run 141 gr and there is a production mould of 165 for cowboy and acp loads. There is I think a 90gr swc intended for 380 acp and an 85gr rn also for 380 but lapped slightly to drop 358-9 should shoot fine w/7-900 fps 9mm/38/357 loads.

Return to “Product Ideas”