Basic Gunsmithing Tool Recomendations Needed

Open forum for handguns.
6Gears1Speed
My Press Choice: Progressive

Basic Gunsmithing Tool Recomendations Needed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I like to do basic work on my guns and my friends and relatives guns and the two things that keep coming up that I need is a 1911 sight tool and 1911 extractor adjustment tool.

Can someone suggest one of each that won't break the bank? I searched but without real world experience I have no idea which ones are junk over priced or whatever. It will be for occasional use so I don't need tools that will last five lifetimes and can be dropped from 10,000 feet etc...

Regarding 1911 sights, do manufacturers use some sort of adhesive like Super Glue on the sights so they don't break loose? I tried to remove the rear sight on my brand new Ruger 1911 by removing the set screw and gently tapping it with a plastic rod and hobby hammer. It wouldn't budge and when I look into the screw hole it looks shiny on the top of the slide so I think it may be adhesive of some kind.

The reason I'm posting this on a reloading forum is because the general shooting forum I belong to is filled with high testosterone Rambo wannabe's and the thread will probably deteriorate into a bashing ordeal. I value the opinions I get here more than that place.

Thanks.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Basic Gunsmithing Tool Recomendations Needed

Post by RBHarter »

The sights may be lock tighted in place . It may have a tapered sight block base that should be installed from the right side or a blemish or burr or raised dimple keeping it from moving. I would suggest a brass punch IF it is a STEEL sight. I can't recommend a pusher . The 1911 front sight is staked in place and has to be broken off and replaced with a new part . It is a rivet base that is driven/peen ed on the inside of the slide.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Thanks. I hit the rear sight pretty good with NO movement so there must be some adhesive. But it looks clear and shiny not blue or red. The only other thing I was thinking is if there is a solvent that would dissolve the adhesive. Mineral spirits?

If either of them has to be destroyed to get them off it would defeat my purpose which is to keep the nights sights that are on there and install the regular 3 dot sights it ships with.

Long story short, I have a replacement SR1911 from Ruger and they installed the night sights from my old gun per my request. They also gave me the original sights. I decided I want to sell the gun with the regular sights and keep the night sights for future use.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Actually, since they removed the regular dot sights and installed my night sights it must be possible to remove them without destroying them. Maybe I'll just call Ruger and ask them... :?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Acetone might be the ticket.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I called Novak just to make sure it's an easy fit and it's not. There is some real smithing required so I'm just going to leave it as is and keep it. He said the front sight specificity has to be sized due to the dovetail on the gun not matching up.

So, today I shot the crap out of it and she's a keeper.

I'd still like to buy a 1911 sight tool and extractor tool if anyone can suggest something that they've used. I'm hesitant to just pick one out not knowing if it's junk or not.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Pick a brand and do a Youtube search bet you can find a few reviews on those tools. What about the reviews on the site you want to buy them off.
Je suis Charlie
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

my old 1997-98 Kimber is in need of new tritiums, but from what I've heard from other owners and gun shop owners the Kimber is about the toughest to replace sights. Requires the "special tools" that few shops in my neck of the woods have. I may just ship the slide in a flat rate box to Kimber Custom Shop and pay them to install and index the new sights.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Handgun Discussions”