Glock 42

Open forum for handguns.
10mmauto
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Glock 42

Post by 10mmauto »

I carried a Walther PPK for 25 years. But I recently got a Glock 42 and I have switched to that. Much more comfortable to shoot and lighter. Initially (out of the box) it had problems with Winchester Silvertips. But it ran through Federal Hydro shocks and PMC FMJ's no problem. After cleaning and lubing, it now tears through the Silvertips also. I loaded up 150 rounds and promptly went through those, so now its back to the bench!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

10mmauto wrote:I carried a Walther PPK for 25 years. But I recently got a Glock 42 and I have switched to that. Much more comfortable to shoot and lighter. Initially (out of the box) it had problems with Winchester Silvertips. But it ran through Federal Hydro shocks and PMC FMJ's no problem. After cleaning and lubing, it now tears through the Silvertips also. I loaded up 150 rounds and promptly went through those, so now its back to the bench!
I have some 100 grain RN lead loaded which worked well in the Kel-Tec but won't cycle the G42 reliably. I also have some 122 grain hard cast lead loaded which are close to one of Lyman's bullets and performance in the manual, they function good. I have fired about 300 rounds through it now, it functions reliably with Speer Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Defense.

Just gave it it's first good cleaning and will shoot it some more this week with different rounds. I will report back after I finish breaking it in. I am carrying it now. It shot 2 inches left at 15 yards, drifted the rear sight to the right and got it on zero.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I shot another 100 rounds through the G42 today, and a hundred or so a few days ago on paper. Today I was shooting at a 10 inch steel plate at 12 yards.

The pistol shoots very close to point of aim with any ammo I have shot. It is sensitive to limp wristing. That being the only negative I can find about it, there seems to be nothing to complain about. When the shooter does his part the pistol does it's with total reliability.

I recovered the lead disk from in front of the steel plate, they were 122 grain hard cast bullets. The brass jacket was from one of the Hornady Critical Defense rounds.
380s-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I tried some 100 grain cast bullets in the 380 today. They are coated with the bake on stuff from Australia. These bullets are made by "Two Alpha Bullet Company" located only around 30 miles from my home. Makes it pretty handy for me.

I chronographed the load at 850 fps average, accuracy is pretty good, and it functions the Glock reliable.

Now I'm going to get started on loading a bunch of them, Hot darn!
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Nice I'm glad you've found a good load for her.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Just an update.

I have shot this Glock 42 a lot now. It has been totally reliable and during warm weather everywhere and around home it is my primary carry. It conceals easy and just disappears with a shirt hanging over it.

It handles so well for me that I tape off the sights and shoot multiple upper torso silhouettes rapid fire at 12 yards and seldom miss. ~ My theory is in low light I won't have time to aim even if I could see the sights. This is just an example of a proper fitting pistol and a lot of practice. I shoot the same discipline with my M&P 40C. Give it a try its fun.

With cold weather and wearing a jacket I often carry the 40 in a shoulder rig.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Steve in the Coast Guard we called that point and shoot and that was part of our training.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:Steve in the Coast Guard we called that point and shoot and that was part of our training.
Good training for them to have. And fun.

Return to “Handgun Discussions”