Color for my Taurus TCPs

Open forum for handguns.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Color for my Taurus TCPs

Post by Ranch Dog »

I own two TCPs, a 732B (32 Auto) and a 738B (380 Auto), both which had black grip assemblies (stocks) from the factory. My wife has a pink 732B and has always thought my pistols rather dull. So, I took it upon myself a project to purchase new stocks from Taurus online and dress them up!

I went with yellow on the 32 Auto, my favorite color if there is such a thing, and carbon fiber on the 380 Auto. None of these are stock Taurus. I installed the Galloway Precision improvements which include the Sweet Spot trigger, stainless guide rod, and reduced power hammer spring. On the 380 Auto I also use the 12# recoil spring. My TCPs use the Pachmary Grip Glove which really helps my large hand shoot this little pistol.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Color for my Taurus TCPs

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Are all the upgrades something you would do again? Other than color, of course.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

I actually like the yellow design. If I was allowed to carry a gun, it might be like that.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Are all the upgrades something you would do again? Other than color, of course.
Yes!

I evaluated the 3AT, LCP, and TCP for my use as a self defense handgun at a place that had them and allowed me to handle and shoot them. I know the 3AT is popular but I never shot it. Lack of a slide lock in that it is available with the other two bottomed it out immediately. The LCP & TCP are very similar, I do like the trigger feedback through reset on the LCP better but the TCP has a slide lock on an empty magazine, something that I want on any SD pistol, especially a pistol with only six shots. That feature make tactical reloads a breeze.

The radius & length of the Taurus TCP is plain weird. When coupled with the feel after the shot as pressure is eased up on the trigger toward the reset for the next shot, well... it is awful. As you move forward you feel a bump that is the hammer block moving into position but can be mistaken as the reset. If you attempt to shoot here, pull the trigger back, the gun is disabled. The reset, with the TCP trigger, is much further forward. In comes the Sweet Spot with it's totally different shape & radius. The bump for the hammer block is immediate as trigger pressure is relaxed and the reset happens shortly thereafter where you would expect it, a point that there is not much more forward play in the trigger if you miss the reset. The surface of the SS is flat vs. the rounded surface of the Taurus trigger. My finger rolls off the Taurus trigger in six shots requiring the grip to be reestablished.

The stainless guide rod is slicker. The assumption is that stainless always makes function better.

The Reduced Power Hammer Spring improves the trigger pull significantly. I documented the tension change but would need to find it.

The 12# recoil spring is for my own piece of mind. I'm shooting a heavier than spec bullet out of the 738B with heavy loads. I was worried about the "slap" that I felt as the slide bottomed out with the stock spring set. The "slap" or "crack" disappeared with the heavier spring set. You must use the stainless guide rod with the heavier spring set.

All of the Galloway improvements are available for the LCP as well. What weighed heavily towards the LCP was an outfit that dovetails the slide for sights. That means that night sights could be installed. Of course with the work and aftermarkets sights you double the cost of the pistol.

I went with the 732B 32 Auto first and immediately fell in love with it. Probably shot 500 rounds the first day I owned it. I went back the next day and bought the 738B 380 Auto.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I can't resist the urge to think of these micro .380's as "get off me" guns in that the sights are so non functional as to be point shooters. That being said, I still tried a bit of a nail polish sight upgrade on my TCP.

It's crude but it's easily reversed.

The factory trigger on my gun is shockingly smooth so I'm hesitant to possibly mess that up. But that stainless guide rod and spring combo sounds like a smart idea.
Missionary
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
I paint the sights on all my handguns if they are just black. I want every advantage possible. The older my eyes get and the slower they focus I am looking for all the angles to be on my side.
Mike in Peru

Return to “Handgun Discussions”