Governor first shots

Open forum for handguns.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Governor first shots

Post by RBHarter »

My buddy Jorge bought a brand new S&W Governor .
Man those things are light !
I didn't take any pictures it's a brand new bead blasted light colored with a finger groove mono grip factory grip in basic black with a 2" bbl . Even loaded , both in hand , it weighs less than his 4" Highway Patrolman 357 in stainless .

I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of recoil with 45 Colts . These were 255 RNFP from Miwall's bulk pack . We didn't shoot any ACP or 410 .
Jorge has a steel gong swing set and at 25 long paces none of the 3 of us had any difficulties hitting the 12" or 6" plates . I was pulling high and right but was able to keep 5/6 of the 3rd cylinder on the little 4" gong . 6/6 we're good hits on the 12" with 3/6 on the 6" double action .

In good light the grey frame groove and black post were very good but I suspect maybe not so much between street lights . The single action was crisp , I only recall pressure and break . Double action is a little bit gritty but this was the first box of ammo in a brand new factory fresh gun . It had good feel if you are a shooter that notices the double action feel it's probably like driving a 47' Mack for time on an SCCA course . That said I found it interesting that I could feel the "cam flatten" as the pull hit the single action cocked length and was easily stopped and held there . I can't feel that in my early model 10 or 1917s , Jorge's Highway Patrolman or my Security 6 . As a point of squeeze follow it doesn't pose any distraction it just has a drop off kind of like a compound bow cam over into the let off vs the others that by the time I feel the let off the hammer is down .

Overall I found it really pretty pleasent to shoot .

It is loud and that might be less with ACP . I would venture that the chamber step for the 1.285 Colts is closer to 1.35 maybe a little more . I hope it would stop a 454 from chambering . This is just an eyeball guess looking at the spot vs step and subtracting half of what I want to say it looks like . The down side off the Colts and 410 HS here is that half or 1/3 moons need to be cut for the id like the full moons vs the old od half moons . It does come with 3 full moons and 3 two round clips .
It's not a gun to go shoot every weekend but if you feel like you need a multiple ammo carry cannon and the X frame Alaskan is just too much this would be the ticket .

If I had one in the stash I would be inclined to make Colts length 308s to fill to the step with Colts data loadings and use the moon clips and do the same with a few 06' cases for moon clipped 410s when I was just out knocking around in the boonies .

Revolversupply.com I believe is the full moon clip supplier to Wilson , Midway etc they offer 10/$12 , 50/$35 and $55/100 for full moon clips compatible with 1917s , M25 and the Governor . So Jorge and I threw in for a 100 steel clips and I'll be making him a demooner when he brings me that 1973 5 iron .

Jorge is Scandinavian not Latino so it's George or maybe Yourge %@*&$ gay.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Governor first shots

Post by akuser47 »

I've debated these,and just haven't gotten one yet. Glad you like it.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Governor first shots

Post by GRV01 »

Wifey and i are still debating getting one, well a Judge anyway, as a HD gun. Those 000 buck would work great to put holes in a baddy but not my neighbors

Not sure what it is though, we cant quite work ourselves over the hill to pull the trigger on buying one

Glad you had fun though, and hopefully your friend likes it
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special

Return to “Handgun Discussions”