A couple of 380s side by side .

Open forum for handguns.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

A couple of 380s side by side .

Post by RBHarter »

About a 1.5 years ago we bought Ms a Ruger LCP , it fit her hands and is plenty for household pests and unwanted visitors . But it just wasn't any fun to shoot as a result it doesn't get shot as much as it should to be proficient .
IMG_20170730_161929372.jpg
I went to the Cross roads of the West with no designs on anything as far as buying a gun goes . Just a set of target steel plates and maybe pad up some ammo that is lagging . But there was this table with a couple of PPKS , a Llama , and several more tables with assorted small frame pistols ........ Doomed . When did the issue gun of 007 get so pricey ?

I was good and walked away from the Llama , $325 . Magazines would probably be like hens teeth anyway .

Typically I shy away from poly anything , but the Glock 42 didn't feel bad in hand , infact it felt a lot like the PPKS I had on a loan several years ago .

I'd shot the LCP with Federal , Privi Partizan and Mag Tech in 75,90&95 gr FMJ and HP as well as my 358-85 RF NOE . It fed and ran fine with just a couple feed bugs and short strokes in the hand loads and I can live with that due to source , component age and mixed brass . The load may have been on the low side also :oops: . Pie plate is no trouble draw to Weaver stance and apply 2 doubles and a triple , 6+1 . Well aimed 4-5" is possible at 25yd but after 3-4 runs of even single mags and the fun is gone . It requires work to keep shooting .

The Glock is slightly larger than the LCP but keeps the 6+1 . The fuller and slightly longer grip makes shooting much more pleasant .
IMG_20170730_161929372.jpg
We shot 85 rd 50 Win 95 gr FMJ RF and the last 35 cast loads on hand .
I shot some well aimed 25 yd shots , 4 groups of 6 in 4" clusters of 2 touching 2 touching and 2 that wandered off all alone . Stepping in closer to the 7yd line . Draw and fire 3 doubles into 4" and easy to repeat .

For fun I plinked off a few rounds at my buddies steel plate stand at 50 yd and the 8" plate was a challenge but easy enough once the range was found . He brought along a couple of the softball sized self healing reactive targets and we rolled them around for 4-5 mags worth making regular hits at 20-35 yd .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: A couple of 380s side by side .

Post by GasGuzzler »

Without caliber debate and with knowledge we reload I have never shined on .380 because factory ammo costs as much as .357.....same goes for .25ACP and .32ACP.

9mm (the normal kind) is cheap both ways.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The cal/cartridge debate should end , for the purpose of SD , with if you shoot it well and it's comfortable to shoot then you will shoot it more which leads to shooting it better .

380 is a little more expensive than 9mm or 38 Special , but step into SD ammo and it's all $1/rd . As for reloads I cast 95% of every round I've fired since 2010 . A 90 gr bullet casts 1/3 more per lb than 125 and nearly twice as many as 158-165 gr for 38/357 and 3 times for the Colts/ Schofield sisters . Powder consumption is 60% of 9mm half of 38 and just over 1/4 of the Colts .

Ms wears a size 6 or 7 ring I wear 14 on 3 fingers and my thumb , a 10 fits my pinkies pretty good .

No bones about it I prefer my 9mm HP to just shoot to either of the above pistols and I've carried an XD40 a lot . As much as I love a 1911 , as far as range time goes , I'd rather spend it with a 1917 Smith or a BlackHawk .

Ms shoots the 42 much better than the LCP . It's more comfortable to shoot . That makes it a better choice for her .

I'm aware that if a methed up zombie knocks down the door that a 44 Auto Mag is the most likely to stop it's advance , but if the gun is too big to get properly on target without any chance of a follow up a pen would be a better choice .

Fiocchi 90 gr XTP HP loaded ammo was bought at a show through MiWall ammo at about $12/box in 250rd cans so they come with a little plastic 30 cal ammo can too . The FC FMJ I only paid $14 for and the same for the Winchester white box .

Knowing that Ms has a choice for the coyote on the porch or the Wolf at the door that she uses well is worth $2-5 a box .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice. I'm not a caliber snob I've just seen .380 SD ammo seem to go way up. Being able to use it is what matters.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steve, RIP, as I remember was fond of his G42. The 380 Auto has become my most carried SD arm. In particular the Taurus TCP 738B. I shoot my TL358-100-RF from it and have actually killed a couple of feral hogs with that bullet in this cartridge.

Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Cool pic.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Always have liked a 380, light, compact, fast, although, my all time favorite 380
has to be the Browning BDA, more towards a full size pistol but still very concealable.
That pistol just oozes class :)
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This is my Taurus PT138 Millenium Pro, I shoot my TL358-125-RF from it which is the same bullet I shoot in my Rossi 351 revolver. Killed a couple of hogs with it & the PT as well.

This is a real slick double stack pistol. Really nice shooting. I will get a picture of this pistol with the 738, I don't think RB would mind if this becomes a "show us your 380" topic. Let's give some 380 love!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here are my 380s; the PT138 Pro and TCP mentioned above.

The Millennium Pro is a 12 round, double stack compact pistol. It is an easy pistol to shoot well. In the Pro series, I also have the PT132 32 Auto, PT111 9mm Luger, and the PT745 45 Auto which was Taurus' single stack 45. When I figured out that Taurus was going to discontinue this line, I bought a NIB PT745 just in case something were to happen to the first. I like it that much. Left a Glock 36 for it. It is still packed in the shipping grease like Taurus shipped them, in its plastic case at the back of the safe.
Michael
Charley
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Charley »

Have two 380s, earliest is a Colt Mustang Pocketlite. Great handgun, but never was really comfortable carrying it. A 1911 type design, with no grip safety isn't what I want. No cocked and locked option, IMO.
When I carry a 380 today, it is a Bersa Thunder. Not the most compact 380, but fells good in my hand, is 100% reliable, and is accurate. SD ammo is expensive, but a couple of magazines of it for testing is no big deal. My practice/plinking ammo is made up of Lee' 95 grain FP over either Unique or AA2.
Seems a lot of people do carry Glock 42s, I sell a fair number of holsters for them.

Return to “Handgun Discussions”