SMLE Scout is returning to Texas

Open forum for rifles.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: SMLE Scout is returning to Texas

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings klr! Yeah, the No. 5 did make me crazy but it taught me a bit as well.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by klr »

Well, RD, your results have encouraged me to get back to the Enfield. Tonight I cleaned the bore and loaded a few rounds with Varget and 100V Hybrid. I'm using 174 gr Hornady RN bullets. Hopefully I'll get to shoot them this Thanksgiving weekend.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Mine is in the lineup to be completely sighted in with the 180-grain PPU bullet, both the scope and Ghost Ring. I had also bought new Mag-Pro magazines, three of them, as the original was pretty beat up. The replacement's function fine but the all the sharp edges, especially on a hunting rifle, caused me to start looking elsewhere. Sure enough, several Google pages deep, I found new production, original patterned magazines for a little bit less than the Mag-Pro. Bought three of them and I'm very pleased. Wished I had found them first.

The finish is listed as parkerized but I would call it a distressed parkerized. It does look good.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Thanks for the mag info. I have the "highly-desirable" 5 round mag, but I'd really like the full 10 rounds. I'll take a look at Classic.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Thanks for the mag info. I have the "highly-desirable" 5 round mag, but I'd really like the full 10 rounds. I'll take a look at Classic.
I wish this outfit would make a five round mag and I need to send them the request.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Shooting results are in. I wasn't sure if you wanted another thread with the same content, so I posted to my original thread on your Rossi forum.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... =20#p55389
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Shooting results are in. I wasn't sure if you wanted another thread with the same content, so I posted to my original thread on your Rossi forum.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... =20#p55389
I don't mind on either side.
Michael
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

That is a great rifle and I love what you did with it. Hopefully in the future I can do something similar if I find one someone messed with that I can give new life to. Thanks for sharing with us.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you, I'm still tickled as to how well it turned out. In about a week, I will be able to show it to the fellow who's "truck gun" it was. He thought it spent and will drop a load in his drawers.
Michael
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

I bet he will be shocked. My Mark 4 no 1* was very rough looking but all original 1943 Savage/Stevens. I think the owner just thought is was junk or did not know what to do with it. Other than screw heads being buggered up it was not messed with, so I took chance even though the bore looked horrible. I tested the wear by putting a bullet in the muzzle and it was very tight so I knew the 2 groove barrel had plenty of life, but looked very crusty inside. I knew the stock would clean up because it was just dirty and greasy. So I made an offer, and the guy accepted. So I adopted another old war rifle to my relic retirement home.

Well, the short version is I took it all apart and did a thorough cleaning and oiling of all the metal, cleaned the bore real good and was satisfied it would be ok. The real treat came a the range. I planned on 'shooting it clean' to get the barrel as clean as I could. I am glad that I did. When it was hot and scrubbed on the range it cleaned up very nicely. Cleaned lightly and oiled when home and I am ecstatic with how great the bore looks now. I have cleaned some nasty bores in the past and they always look better after cleaning them hot and 'shooting clean' but this one was special. It shoots really well and will only get better as I get used to it and dial in a load. I need to adjust the front sight slightly too. Lemon oil on the stock and she is looking real nice now. Too good of an original to do any refinishing or drastic stuff. Just want to enjoy it and be a good steward. It is snowing here or I would be at the range now testing my loads and using some factory ammo to get more empty brass. I love old rifles.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”