Another Lightweight Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel

Open forum for rifles.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Another Lightweight Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel

Post by klr »

I bought a Howa barreled action from Brownells with the 20" lightweight barrel. I figured that I would test it against the 22" one I already had and keep the best of the two. I slimmed down the factory plastic stock on the 22" but wanted something in wood and I wanted to see if I could get the bare rifle down to 5 lbs.

I'm too cheap to buy a stock and love to build stuff so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'd never built a stock before but firmly believe that old proverb, "What one fool can do, another can."

When my boys were babies they had a crib with solid plywood headboards. I thought it was some nice wood and have been saving it ever since (over 30 years.) I did trim off the edges where my boys gnawed on them. ;)

I laminated three pieces together, traced around the oem Howa stock, and clamped the stock blank in my mini mill. Then I tried my best to replicate the oem stock channel. It was slow going, but I quit when I got tired and didn't make too many mistakes.

I turned some aluminum pillars on my lathe and then cut out the channel for the bottom plastic. I installed the pillars and bedded the action with epoxy.

I met my 5 pound goal with the bare rifle, but I'm 0.56 of an ounce over with the scope bases installed and the 4 round mag inserted. I trimmed down the magazine so that it doesn't stick out so far. It's now comfortable to carry.

Of course, with sling, ammo, and scope I'll be adding another pound.

I sure like how wood feels compared to the plastic stock. The wood is plywood composed of alternating layers of poplar and rock hard maple. Finish is an oak stain followed by several coats of Tru-Oil.

I've taken several deer with the 6.5 Grendel. It's the real deal. The rifle is light, accurate, recoil is minimal, uses 28gr of powder, and puts them down quickly.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Another Lightweight Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wow, that is beautiful work! I still would like the rifle in 7.62x39, but have gotten to the point that I cannot possibly shoot all that I own.
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Ranch Dog wrote:Wow, that is beautiful work! I still would like the rifle in 7.62x39, but have gotten to the point that I cannot possibly shoot all that I own.
Michael, that sounds like a problem I'd not mind having..... +guns

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Thanks, guys.

RD, I know what you mean about having too many rifles. It's getting to be a job just keeping up with all of them and deciding which one to take out. Seems like a shame to have them just sit there.

Speaking of which, I also put together an AR in 6.5 Grendel when I built this Howa. I took one deer with it and decided I'd rather hunt with the Howa. I just can't warm up to all that aluminum and plastic. So now I have three 6.5 grendel rifles. :lol: Fortunately they all shoot the same load well.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

That is a beautiful rifle. I love the stock you made. Thanks for sharing with us.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My 6.5 Grendel upper arrived today. Got it mostly for fun and varmits. In my other assorted 6.5s the Sierra 85gr HP was my favorite bullet, unfortunately it was enough of a favorite to keep it in production and except for a few loaded in my 6.5/06 for long range work I'm out. Thinking about Nosler's 90 grain varmagedon and Speers 90 grain hp. Any suggestions welcome.

Stay well, be safe and make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I really like the Speer 120gr Gold Dot. It's accurate, cheap, and works great on deer. I'm loading it over 28.0gr of IMR 8208. That load shoots well in both of my Howa's and my AR.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'll have to check into that, Thanks.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
rimrock
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by rimrock »

klr wrote: I just can't warm up to all that aluminum and plastic.
Right there with you. I also have an AR 6.5 grendel. I like the round but not much the rifle. I Plan to get a Ruger American Ranch in the 6.5 grendel

Thanks,
rimrock
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

rimrock wrote: I Plan to get a Ruger American Ranch in the 6.5 grendel
Not to throw cold water on your plans, but I can't warm up to the crappy plastic and crude metalwork on a RAR either. :lol:

My brother in law had one of those in 300 Blackout. I should say he had two. Ruger replaced the first with another with the same headspace issue. Then they replaced that with a .243 that he has never shot.

Hopefully your experience is better. :t

Return to “Rifle Discussions”