SMLE Rem 600 Clone

Open forum for rifles.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

SMLE Rem 600 Clone

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been looking for a SMLE rebuilt into a scout rifle for a couple of years. I've found a couple but they always have been rechambered to 308 Win but I want to work with the 303 British cartridge. The best rebuild I've seen was nearby, absolutely beautiful and done right with the XS Clifton scout mount and ghost ring. Dude changed it to a 308 Win. It was at a premium price and I would have bought it if it was a 303 British.

There are a couple of websites that I've learned to cruise for this endeavor and I put the brakes on as I was passing through the list of candidate rifles. There in front of me was a SMLE sporterized into a Remington 600 clone. I called Williams Gunsight this morning and talked to them about the rifle and a deal was made. Call me a freak but I do love the 600!

The Williams guy was handling the rifle while he talked to me and said that a very good job had been done on this 18 ½" barreled rifle. I was glad to hear that the rib was steel. I have a spare Redfield Jr. IER mount, like that I use on my 35 Rem 600, and hopefully I will be able to drill and tap the forward receiver and rib so that I can use it with a scout scope. If that doesn't work out I will use a traditional, compact scope. Brass, bullets, and dies are on the way as well.

Oh, the guy I was talking to at Williams grew up about 8 miles from me. They are located in MI!
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: SMLE Rem 600 Clone

Post by DaveInGA »

Oh my, now that is a fine looking rifle. One of those TAlaskan TV shows has an older man there with what I'm sure is a similar conversion in .303 Brit, but I can never get a close enough look at it to confirm caliber. His stock is very blonde, mostly likely European Beach and is really sharp.

I like yours with that nice handsome hunk of walnut on there much better. I like the .303 Brit too, it's an odd cartridge and in those rifles, tends to get better with range. At least my #4 "Irish Contract" does. It can reach out beyond what you'd expect the rifle to do. Depending on the barrel you have, I'd look at something around 175-180 grains as a starting point and definately do a cast of the chamber.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

DaveInGA wrote:Oh my, now that is a fine looking rifle.
That funny! I think those were my exact same words when I saw it! I paid $259 for it...
Michael
f100cleveland
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by f100cleveland »

I have a sporterized .303 #4 that had been referbished in Australia. It is fun to shoot. Gun broker deal years ago for $100. Likes pulled 7.62x54 bullets because I got a bunch cheap.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Ranch Dog wrote:
DaveInGA wrote:Oh my, now that is a fine looking rifle.
That funny! I think those were my exact same words when I saw it! I paid $259 for it...
You stole it. :mrgreen:
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Went on that Williams Sights website and did some looking. They have some real nice used guns at reasonable prices. Had to add them to my bookmarks. I saw a pic of your rifle, bigger than the one here. I noticed the lightning cuts on the barrel to reduce weight, indicating whoever did the conversion used a #5 barreled action as the base if I remember right.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

DaveInGA wrote:Went on that Williams Sights website and did some looking. They have some real nice used guns at reasonable prices. Had to add them to my bookmarks. I saw a pic of your rifle, bigger than the one here. I noticed the lightning cuts on the barrel to reduce weight, indicating whoever did the conversion used a #5 barreled action as the base if I remember right.
Yeah I figure it is a No. 5 Mk I "Jungle Carbine". I will be interesting to be in hand!

I've used the Williams list to consider purchase several times. This is the first gun I've bought as I've called about several but they have been sold. The sales staff has always been helpful and in this case took the time to completely describe the gun, in hand, in that they only offer the single picture. Buffalo Arms also has a good list that operates in about the same fashion. I have bought from their consignments as well.
f100cleveland wrote:I have a sporterized .303 #4 that had been referbished in Australia. It is fun to shoot. Gun broker deal years ago for $100. Likes pulled 7.62x54 bullets because I got a bunch cheap.
For starters, I bought the Hornady 174-grain round nose bullet. The reviews by 303 British guys for this .312 were very positive. Hopefully there will be a RD TLC cast bullet in its future!
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Williams, just out side Flint. That place brings back some fond memories. They used to have an out side range and it cost 3 bucks to use it back in the 60s. My Dad would take his Winchester 1894 in 30 30 there every year to make sure it was sighted in. He would shoot 3 rounds and I got to shoot 1 until I was 16 then all 3. Yup once a year every year until 1970.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:Williams, just out side Flint. That place brings back some fond memories. They used to have an out side range and it cost 3 bucks to use it back in the 60s. My Dad would take his Winchester 1894 in 30 30 there every year to make sure it was sighted in. He would shoot 3 rounds and I got to shoot 1 until I was 16 then all 3. Yup once a year every year until 1970.
They still have a range, it is closed right now as they are rebuilding it.
Michael
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

DaveInGA wrote:Oh my, now that is a fine looking rifle. One of those TAlaskan TV shows has an older man there with what I'm sure is a similar conversion in .303 Brit, but I can never get a close enough look at it to confirm caliber. His stock is very blonde, mostly likely European Beach and is really sharp.

I like yours with that nice handsome hunk of walnut on there much better. I like the .303 Brit too, it's an odd cartridge and in those rifles, tends to get better with range. At least my #4 "Irish Contract" does. It can reach out beyond what you'd expect the rifle to do. Depending on the barrel you have, I'd look at something around 175-180 grains as a starting point and definately do a cast of the chamber.
The Canadian Rangers were issued .303 Lee-Enfields.
Canadian Rangers are issued the .303 British calibre Lee–Enfield No 4 rifle, with each user being provided with 200 rounds of ammunition every year.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”