Loading & Range Day for the SMLE

Open forum for rifles.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Loading & Range Day for the SMLE

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Yes, it does get tedious. I don't like the gas check/lubing/sizing part.

I'm not sure the economics work out for me either. For my 358 Winchester I bought a 5 cavity NOE mold, a box of gas checks, resizer, and lube materials. I shot a couple dozen working up a load and then took 6-8 deer. Then I bought another NOE mold with a larger meplat, but I don't want to sell my old mold in case I need it someday. If I shoot 10 rounds a year for the next 15 years... those $35/100 jacketed start to look cheap. :lol:
I've always said I would like casting better if I hired a full time bullet caster/luber/sizer!
klr wrote:BTW, I bought a box of 150gr Prvi and Sierra SP bullets. I figured I'd test a few lightweights before moving up in weight.
With you covering the performance of these bullets, I will cover the heavy stuff (174 & 210s) and we will see where it puts it.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote: With you covering the performance of these bullets, I will cover the heavy stuff (174 & 210s) and we will see where it puts it.
Sounds good. Hopefully I'll have something to report next weekend; although Graf's doesn't seem to be in a hurry to ship my bullets.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Sounds good. Hopefully I'll have something to report next weekend; although Graf's doesn't seem to be in a hurry to ship my bullets.
I like Graf's with large orders because of the shipping but they are the slowest of the suppliers.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Still waiting on the gunsmith to call that the rifle is ready. In the meantime, I decided to draw the #68 Woodleigh bullet in my bullet design software. It takes a bit of time to reverse "design" it but I finally got it. Here is what it looks like in a SAAMI spec chamber.
303_British_Woodleigh_68.jpg
At .312", it will not completely seal the bore (.313"). It will look like this going down the barrel.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

So, what are the practical ramifications of that undersize bullet? I assume blow-by which will result in reduced velocity and more burnt powder residue in the bore, but will it be significant enough to matter? If so, that would be a big benefit of a properly fit cast bullet.

BTW, I got my bullets from Graf's tonight. The Prvi bullets were shipped in a thin plastic bag (which ripped open) and found rattling around loose in the box. Of course, the tips are mangled. :x

It's raining here and forecast to continue most of the weekend. Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot at some point.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:So, what are the practical ramifications of that undersize bullet? I assume blow-by which will result in reduced velocity and more burnt powder residue in the bore, but will it be significant enough to matter?
I think it does. I also think that the gas getting ahead of the bullet affects the potential accuracy.
klr wrote:If so, that would be a big benefit of a properly fit cast bullet.
I actually see this type of fit with the Taurus semi-auto pistols. They all have large groove diameters. The firearm will never match velocity expectation nor live up to it's accuracy potential. Stick a fat bullet in it to seal the barrrel and you will see higher velocities and tighter groups.
klr wrote:BTW, I got my bullets from Graf's tonight. The Prvi bullets were shipped in a thin plastic bag (which ripped open) and found rattling around loose in the box. Of course, the tips are mangled. :x
Check this out. When I ordered the Woodleigh bullets, I bought a 303 British Lee Loader and another Lee Turret from MidwayUSA. That outfit has gotten real bad about throwing everything in a bag so UPS can sling it around. Here is how it arrived.
MidwayUSA_order.jpg
I haven't had the time to get and email to Mr. Potter but I will. I'm tired of my orders arriving like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Yes, that's ridiculous. The box of Sierra bullets in my order had one corner crushed and was partially opened also. I emailed Graf's in hopes that they will make some changes in the shipping dept.

IIRC, my Enfield slugged at .313, so maybe getting a selection of .311-.312 bullets was a mistake. Guess I'll shoot a few and see.

I have a Lee mold for the 7.62x39. I'll see what I can do with that, although I think I opened my sizer to .317 for my Mosin. Edit: Not going to work - bullets are .312.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think they will work but I serious doubt that the rifle can live up to a reasonable expectation of accuracy. Of course, the only way to know is to shoot them. As far as I know, there is not a jacketed .313" bullet available.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Had to take my parents down to Corpus Christi and back today, a long day! Before I left I sent MidwayUSA the picture along with comments of how the order appears whenever it arrives in a UPS bag. They answered right away with an apology for the shape the orders are arriving in and assured me that the issue would be resolved. They also gave me a $10 credit on my account.

On the way out of Corpus the gunsmith called to inform me that my Savage Scout barrel recrown was complete and he decided not to tackle the scope mount on the SMLE. After dropping my parents at the ranch I went and picked up the rifles. I went to a welding shop that I trade with, that has tackled some very fine and difficult stuff for me, and immediately had a couple of welders studying the rifle. They told me they thought they could repair it and to stop back in late Monday or Tuesday. Honestly, I almost took it to the welding shop first. Probably would have had my Savage not already been at the gunsmith.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Glad Midway was responsive. Hopefully they actually make some changes. Graf's said they would refund my shipping charge for the condition my bullets arrived in. I'd still rather have bullets with straight noses.

Hopefully the welding guys come through. Was the original job silver-soldered? Brazed? I think I'd be worried about welding applying too much heat at that point in the receiver. Maybe a drill and tap job would be better?

BTW, I tried some new bullets today and updated my thread on the other site.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”