Recrowned Muzzle, Not The Problem

Open forum for rifles.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Recrowned Muzzle, Not The Problem

Post by Ranch Dog »

In another topic I mentioned that I was going to have my Savage 10FCM recrowned. I didn't feel that the groups were up to what I've seen from the other Savages I've shot, even with several types of factory ammunition, and I've never been happy with the wear present at the muzzle of this rifle that I purchased used.

In that my primary interest in hunting is for hunting, I've always liked recessed crowns to afford a bit of protection for the amount of time my rifles spend in my truck or Mule. I even toyed with the idea of buying my own tools now that I'm supposed to have more time in my retirement but for some reason that really hasn't happened. I paid the $65 and just got it done.

Unfortunately, I don't think the crown was causing some of the loose groups that I was shooting but it did lead me to finding the possible answer. What was real interesting was the shift in Point Of Impact that my groups took with the recrown.

On the target below I was shooting at the orange bullseye at 100 yards. The rifle had been sighted in with my load for the Speer #2053 180-grain spire point. The work produced quite a shift in POI that was high and to the left. The shots were at a 2 minute interval and I was pleased with the group until the fourth shot. I didn't like how it threw the bullet to the right, it shouldn't have.

I adjusted the the turrets 3" down and right and let the rifle go cold while I worked on some chores on my range. When I started shooting again, at the same 2 minute intervals, the first two shots looked great but with the shift in POI against what the turrets were adjusted, something didn't smell right. I continued to shoot and with each two shots at the same interval the POI continued to group in pairs and continued to shift upwards. That smell started to remind me of scope or mount problems.

Externally, everything looked good and was tight but it is easy to pop the Weaver Locks to take a closer look.

Right away, I saw some wear on the base where the rear ring attaches. Flipping the scope over I saw plenty of wear on the bottom of the base at the rear lug.

After looking at the base & it's lug closely, I think that the rear base wasn't positioned properly up against the base cutout before the ring was tightened down on the scope tube. What confirmed my suspicion was when I put the scope back on the base and tightened the forward ring down up against the base cutout but left the rear ring loose. I loosened the ring screws and sure enough, I was able to apply pressure to the ring and slide it ever so slightly up and against the cutout. More of a pressure than a movement. I tightened the ring halves and shot again.

With dark coming on I took the first shot, the ballpoint pen is pointing at it. I adjusted the windage and shot three more without a pause. I will give it a better workout as soon as time permits but I fairly certain that I found the issue.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Recrowned Muzzle, Not The Problem

Post by RBHarter »

This sounds familiar to me ...... well the loose screws and misalignment anyway . Shame you had to spend the extra money to find a loose screw , on the other hand you do have the crown you prefer (or wanted to test drive anyway).
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:This sounds familiar to me ...... well the loose screws and misalignment anyway . Shame you had to spend the extra money to find a loose screw , on the other hand you do have the crown you prefer (or wanted to test drive anyway).
Haah! Sure enough!
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by klr »

Ouch. I can sympathize. I don't know how many times I searched for some major problem but found out that I had just overlooked something basic. Reminds me of the time I cut a .243 down to 16" just to later discover it was the crown causing my scattered shots... :oops: :lol:

But, glad you found the problem and it's shooting well. I'll stand by for the full report. ;)
Deleted User 1418

Post by Deleted User 1418 »

At least you didn't figure out it was the shooter...
btoran
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by btoran »

over the years, i found many of my problems could be linked directly back to me having a screw loose. :)
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Gentlemen, you are all absolutely correct!
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Count me in... Burned a bunch of ammo to find a loose screw, and missed the only shot I've ever had on a black bear.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Reminds me of the time the starter back out just enough to spin but not engage the flywheel. Sorry only started shooting 3 years ago when some Senator %@*&$ me off.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Rifle Discussions”