Got to Shoot a new Henry

Open forum for rifles.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Got to Shoot a new Henry

Post by RBHarter »

A lifer friend that talks too much about work, politics and life frustrations called late yesterday and asked if it wanted the shoot his new Henry 45 Colts. "Well yeah" !!

So we get to the gravel pit and he gets it out .
Nice lines
Deep sharp checkering on the wrist and fore end.
Matt bluing and satin finish wood of unremarkable grain.
22" heavy bbll (as Colts bbl go)
Short ramp with a brass bead classic V with a centered white diamond below (easy to get on target)
Sling studs for QD swivels
No half cock, I found that odd but whatever.

Man talk about slick ! The lever runs like greased glass with zero bumps . No cam over lock bump , hardly a ripple when the magazine feed is tripped .
The trigger is short and crisp ,while not light neither is it heavy,I'd guess 4 - 4.5 lbs about the same as my field shot guns. The full recoil pad seemed a bit overkill for a pistol cal lever gun but again I don't have to sleep with her so whatever.

Did I mention slick ,smooth action ?

The 1st 10 Bishop manufacturing Division of Federal Ammunition 250 gr RNFP in Starline brass were fired by the proud owner off hand and at 50 yd landed low right and about 8 1/2 x 11 . The 2nd
10 were better but at 50 yd the generous brass bead covered 3 1/2 in of the 4" aim point . These landed in about 8x8 . I find the Rosschester 92' lever loop more comfortable but that may be personal preference the fluid action makes the squared lever less noticed.

By the end of the 1st 50 factory ammo and 1 step of elevation and the old hood leaning rest groups were closer 4x4 and only an inch off POA .

He tells me that $935 got him out the door and just another 110 for 2 boxes of the Bishop/FC and a box of 200 gr CBC ...........
At least I have a supply of good brass once fired .

If it were finished more shiny and less matt an if it is built on the parts as the 41 and 44 mag and capable of the Ruger start loads I'd say it's worth the other $400 over what I paid for the 92'. Assuming that the 92' is a genuine $500 value rifle at 800 the this parkerized Henry would be a good buy .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Got to Shoot a new Henry

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great report RB! You also hit on the money which I appreciate. As a Rossi 92 guy, that has been the obstacle that I haven't been able to get past. I thought the introduction of the 41 Mag would do it but it hasn't. I see that price range as getting into the Winchester Big Bore/Timber Carbine range, aa firearm that I was always interested in but thought overpriced compared to my Marlin. Since I've dropped my consideration of the 41 Mag, I've been eyeballing the Winchesters chambered in 444 Marlin and probably will buy one that I can catch just right.
Michael
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

RBHarter wrote:A lifer friend that talks too much about work, politics and life frustrations called late yesterday and asked if it wanted the shoot his new Henry 45 Colts. "Well yeah" !!

So we get to the gravel pit and he gets it out .
Nice lines
Deep sharp checkering on the wrist and fore end.
Matt bluing and satin finish wood of unremarkable grain.
22" heavy bbll (as Colts bbl go)
Short ramp with a brass bead classic V with a centered white diamond below (easy to get on target)
Sling studs for QD swivels
No half cock, I found that odd but whatever.

Man talk about slick ! The lever runs like greased glass with zero bumps . No cam over lock bump , hardly a ripple when the magazine feed is tripped .
The trigger is short and crisp ,while not light neither is it heavy,I'd guess 4 - 4.5 lbs about the same as my field shot guns. The full recoil pad seemed a bit overkill for a pistol cal lever gun but again I don't have to sleep with her so whatever.

Did I mention slick ,smooth action ?
Henry uses a transfer bar. If the trigger is not pressed the firing pin can't be hit. So, no half cock on the 45 colt. I think my Grandson's Henry 22 has half cock safety.
Okie44
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Okie44 »

Teaser for Ranch Dog :D
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

So... you gon'na sell it to me "just right"?
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

I am having a tough time deciding which new Henry to get. All I know is I got the itch and just got to have another one. Too many to choose from.

I am going to the range this afternoon, it will be the first time since January. My ribs are too sore to tolerate any recoil so I am going to do some plinking with a Marlin Golden 39A. It holds 27 shorts in the tube! Also I am going to shoot my G42 carry pistol, need to try out the new sights on it.
Okie44

Post by Okie44 »

Ranch Dog wrote:So... you gon'na sell it to me "just right"?

I'll shoot you a PM in a few days.
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okie44 wrote:

Oh boy, next week I'm gon'na find out how much my SMLE is going to set me back!
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Okie44 wrote:

Oh boy, next week I'm gon'na find out how much my SMLE is going to set me back!
Decisions decisions, lol, now the fun begins.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Rifle Discussions”