Henry 22

Open forum for rifles.
9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Henry 22

Post by 9x80Drilling »

My late 1970s vintage Henry, Ithaca-imported from West Germany, .22 will occasionally retain 1 round in the mag tube if I unload it by pulling the tube plunger and dumping the remaining rounds. I do cycle the action and peer down in to the ejection port before declaring it Safe.
When we were kids, my brother put a .22 round into the exposed wooden beams of our Pennsylvania farm house when he dry fired our Savage 29 after unloading it through the mag tube. That was a great lesson. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, don't assume you have removed all ammo unless you do a visual check, and, Very Important, some things are best kept secret from your parents!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

9x80Drilling wrote:My late 1970s vintage Henry, Ithaca-imported from West Germany, .22 will occasionally retain 1 round in the mag tube if I unload it by pulling the tube plunger and dumping the remaining rounds. I do cycle the action and peer down in to the ejection port before declaring it Safe.
When we were kids, my brother put a .22 round into the exposed wooden beams of our Pennsylvania farm house when he dry fired our Savage 29 after unloading it through the mag tube. That was a great lesson. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, don't assume you have removed all ammo unless you do a visual check, and, Very Important, some things are best kept secret from your parents!
What kind of rifle is it? just curious.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Henry Small Game Carbine H001TLP
Got the Skinner front sight on it without much trouble. It is .050" taller than the factory sight. Got it zeroed at 25 yards with CCI Mini Mag 22 LR HP. From a not very steady rest a quarter would easily cover all of the groups and I had a couple nickel size. Have adjustment up and down now.

Remington "Subsonic" 22 LR HP shoot to the same spot and are a LOT quieter. So now I'm a happy camper I will check it on sand bags at the range but don't expect to have change much.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Got my first kill today with the Henry Carbine. 2 frogs and 1 bird. All too small to take a picture of. The CCI Stinger round sounds and even feels more powerful than the CCI Mini Mags.

I really need to get new glasses before I do much more comparing of 22 rounds in this rifle. But my yard is a more dangerous place for pest now. I have to get the zero checked on my father-in-law's old Remington with the CCI Quiet 22. I think they claim it only makes 65 Db of noise. But they don't say what barrel length. I'll have it pretty well covered then.
Steve

Post by Steve »

oscarflytyer wrote:HENRY 22 SAFETY NOTE!!!!

If you have one of the Henry 22 lever guns - be VERY VERY VERY careful when clearing the rifle! I have found that on mine, after I pull the tube plunger and empty the tube, there are still TWO ROUNDS THAT REMAIN IN THE TUBE! I have to put the tube plunger back in the tube, and CYCLE THE LEVER AT TWICE TO COMPLETELY CLEAR THE RIFLE!

This is the ONLY lever gun (of about 10 I have) that I have ever experienced this behavior with! It might just be my/this rifle, but be very careful/cautious - especially if you have a kid shooting it, as these are perfect kid 22s!
I have been loading, then unloading different brands of 22 LR in this Henry.
I have found the best way to unload this one is to open the lever and leave it open. Dump the rounds out of the tube. Because there is always 1 round left in the weapons carrier I work the lever a couple more times to clear it.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:Got my first kill today with the Henry Carbine. 2 frogs and 1 bird. All too small to take a picture of. The CCI Stinger round sounds and even feels more powerful than the CCI Mini Mags.
Stingers a tad longer than Mini-Mags and hold a pinch more powder. But for some reason the trigger on my Wife's Sig Mosquito fails to reset with them. The load and eject just fine. Ya know I just thought of something I had the low velocity spring in it, bet that had something to do with it.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:
Steve wrote:Got my first kill today with the Henry Carbine. 2 frogs and 1 bird. All too small to take a picture of. The CCI Stinger round sounds and even feels more powerful than the CCI Mini Mags.
Stingers a tad longer than Mini-Mags and hold a pinch more powder. But for some reason the trigger on my Wife's Sig Mosquito fails to reset with them. The load and eject just fine. Ya know I just thought of something I had the low velocity spring in it, bet that had something to do with it.
I believe you may be right. I had a Mosquito for a while. A lot of people got to shoot it and It was fun. It was sure picky about spring and ammo selection though.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”