Henry 22

Open forum for rifles.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Henry 22

Post by GasGuzzler »

So I should have asked about the Golden Boy tonight.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I'm tempted to get the golden kit and turn my mare into a golden mare leg. lol
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

HENRY 22 SAFETY NOTE!!!!

If you have one of the Henry 22 lever guns - be VERY VERY VERY careful when clearing the rifle! I have found that on mine, after I pull the tube plunger and empty the tube, there are still TWO ROUNDS THAT REMAIN IN THE TUBE! I have to put the tube plunger back in the tube, and CYCLE THE LEVER AT TWICE TO COMPLETELY CLEAR THE RIFLE!

This is the ONLY lever gun (of about 10 I have) that I have ever experienced this behavior with! It might just be my/this rifle, but be very careful/cautious - especially if you have a kid shooting it, as these are perfect kid 22s!
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I'll have to check if mine does this.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

oscarflytyer wrote:HENRY 22 SAFETY NOTE!!!!

If you have one of the Henry 22 lever guns - be VERY VERY VERY careful when clearing the rifle! I have found that on mine, after I pull the tube plunger and empty the tube, there are still TWO ROUNDS THAT REMAIN IN THE TUBE! I have to put the tube plunger back in the tube, and CYCLE THE LEVER AT TWICE TO COMPLETELY CLEAR THE RIFLE!

This is the ONLY lever gun (of about 10 I have) that I have ever experienced this behavior with! It might just be my/this rifle, but be very careful/cautious - especially if you have a kid shooting it, as these are perfect kid 22s!
I have checked for that since I was 14 with my first 22 a Winchester model 1890 pump. I came real close to shooting a hole in my Dad's TV because one was hung in the tube after being pumped multiple times. To make things worse I think that might have been our first TV.

Maybe you could clean the carrier assembly and also clean the inner and outer magazine tubes. The carrier might have fowling holding one round.

Please let us know what you find.
Steve

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote:I have the 22 mares leg and its a joy silky smooth 22. I split this so it will get more attention from 22 henry shooter.
And another shooter I have to have! I have been thinking that Mares Leg would be fun. It would be neat to see what attention it would get at the restaurant with open carry. Their holster wouldn't hide it without a trench coat. (Small place I often carry open.)
MoMan

Post by MoMan »

CONGRATS on the new Henry. I had a Golden Boy in 22 for a while. GREAT rifle, smooth action, I just couldn't get used to the drop on the stock. I hated to get rid of that little rifle but I just couldn't shoot it. After having it for about 10 years and it not being shot often a Buddy of mine asked if I would consider selling it. He was looking to buy a nice lever action 22 to have for his Son when he got a little older (I think he was 3 y/o at that point). I said under those conditions why not give someone the opportunity to have a rifle they will really love.
We agreed on a price and off it went.
MO

Member: Kentucky Regulators G.C./LaSalle Sportsmen's Club/NRA
LEE 4-hole Turret press, LEE PRO 1000 Progressive press
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I got no answer from the seller on a possible meeting to purchase the GB.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Figured I should get a picture of the "Henry Small Game Carbine" posted. Took the shot with my Big Boy 45 so size would be better indicated.
Henrys-2.JPG
Part of the reason I got the 22 is because some of my ribs were cut and a couple broken in major surgeries in early February. I lost 30 pounds and just started driving again 2 weeks ago. It has seemed about what house arrest must be like. 4 more weeks of radiation and this nightmare will become a memory. I might try shooting the 45 soon because I seem to have got over a lot of the soreness in just the last week. But for now the 22 is a lot of fun for me, and any kind of shock is not. after today I have to say this Carbine is the cleanest rifle in Iowa. Well, in my house anyway. Akuser47 mentioned putting a golden boy cover on his mares-leg, If its not priced too ridiculous I may do the same and brass barrel band also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Steve wrote:
oscarflytyer wrote:HENRY 22 SAFETY NOTE!!!!

I have checked for that since I was 14 with my first 22 a Winchester model 1890 pump. I came real close to shooting a hole in my Dad's TV because one was hung in the tube after being pumped multiple times. To make things worse I think that might have been our first TV.

Maybe you could clean the carrier assembly and also clean the inner and outer magazine tubes. The carrier might have fowling holding one round.

Please let us know what you find.
Did it new... maybe a burr in the tube. Don't know, but two lever cycles and clears every time - so far. But me being me, I now cycle a lever gun about 4+ times to make sure it is clear!

Return to “Rifle Discussions”