Henry 22

Open forum for rifles.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Henry 22

Post by Steve »

I also cycle mine to make sure they are clear, but I also look to see an empty chamber.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'd likely only open it once and look at lifter and chamber. Am I doing it wrong?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Steve

Post by Steve »

GasGuzzler wrote:I'd likely only open it once and look at lifter and chamber. Am I doing it wrong?
If you know the chamber is empty, its safe. When I look in mine I can see the top half of the empty carrier, but cannot see the feed lever.

Seriously, if cartridges are hanging up in the carrier its time to tear the rifle down for a complete cleaning.

I treat all mine as though they are loaded all the time anyway. And some of them are.
Okie44

Post by Okie44 »

Steve wrote:
I treat all mine as though they are loaded all the time anyway.

:t
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

My point
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Steve

Post by Steve »

When Trump gets in the white house He should make me or a like thinking guy "Firearm Safety Czar".
I would roll back any regulations to what they were on "VJ Day" August 14th 1945. The day my Dad and an Army of brave people made the Japs surrender. Those guys didn't need a caution stamped in the side of their weapon saying it could hurt you. And they dang sure didn't need a hammer block safety on a lever gun!

On August 14, 1945, the Japanese government cabled to the U.S. their surrender. This is the date of most modern observances.

On August 15, 1945, news of the surrender was announced to the world. This sparked spontaneous celebrations over the final ending of World War II.

On September 2, 1945, a formal surrender ceremony was held in Tokyo Bay aboard the USS Missouri. At the time, President Truman declared September 2 to be VJ Day.
Steve

Post by Steve »

First range report.
Started at 25 yards to zero the carbine. Shoots tight groups with most of the ammo I tried. But with the Skinner peep sight set as low as it will go it shoots 1" high at the 25 yard line.

I had read somewhere that the Skinner sight did not line properly with the front sight on the Henry. I ordered a taller front sight from Skinner to correct the problem. Guess this is my first complaint about the Henry rifles. Sure would have been easier for them to install a .500" inch high sight instead of the .450".

Anyhow it looks like it is going to be a accurate rifle and it sure fun to shoot. I might go down to the creek this afternoon and try to blast a varmint of some type with it.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

That's awesome, Honestly I would try it at 100 yards or 50 yards first to see exactly where she lands there. Unless 25 yards is max you will be shooting her. I'm not sure what ammo your using but most 22 standard velocity out at 100 yards will drop around a half inch or more. At 100 yards if I remember correctly
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote:That's awesome, Honestly I would try it at 100 yards or 50 yards first to see exactly where she lands there. Unless 25 yards is max you will be shooting her. I'm not sure what ammo your using but most 22 standard velocity out at 100 yards will drop around a half inch or more. At 100 yards if I remember correctly
It seemed to like CCI mini mag and other high velocity. I won't be shooting it beyond 50 yards. If I'm going to ambush something at 50 or more yards I have a nice little Winchester 22 mag I will take.

I will no doubt try some shots over 50 yd. with the 22, but with my eyes I really need a scope for precision shooting beyond 50 yards. That's where my Winchester comes into play.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I get that my little mare is a 50 yard max. Only because I can cheek shot it legally, but it becomes a felony if I shoulder her and shot her. Its actually easy to do so I play carefully lol.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Rifle Discussions”