Skinner Sights

Open forum for rifles.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Skinner Sights

Post by Steve »

I have the Skinner peep sight on my Henry Small Game Carbine. The carbine came with the rear peep sight and the original Henry bead sight on the front. The bead sight turned out to be too short. So I spent another 65 bucks at skinners web sight getting more stuff. The proper height front sight was actually only 15 bucks. But of course there is 7.50 shipping. I got a great sight punch for 20 bucks and some spare parts.

The new sight is a post sight. Through the aperture the post was just a little fuzzy. So back on Skinners sight I went. I got a couple smaller size apertures and some touchup gun blue. Another 35 bucks shot.

But hay! I'm happy know, The smaller aperture cleared up the fuzziness of the front sight. Now for some serious zeroing in.

I'm thinking for squirrel hunting (for me most will be 20 yards or less) the larger aperture might be ok. Or maybe just the ring the aperture screws into, that would give me the fastest target acquisition but the least accuracy. I will try all three ways, probably be the new .070" aperture for squirrels (I try for head shots) and ghost ring for rabbits and cats.
Okie44
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Skinner Sights

Post by Okie44 »

I have a couple of rifles with Skinner sights. I have not had the chance to be in the woods with them yet but they work well at the range.

Marlin 44 Mag shown here with the gold bead front sight.
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
oscarflytyer
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by oscarflytyer »

nearly all of my (many) levers, from 22 LR to 45-70, have Skinner sights. I love them. It helps my old eyes still shoot and keep the original concept of the old levers w/o scopes. You do have to learn/know how to use peep sights. I learned on the M16. And the Skinner quality and customer service is outstanding! I have traded emails with Andy more than once and his always willing to go above and beyond. I would also recommend his wide front post sights. Combined with the peep, it is great in the field. Cpl of years ago, I used my Skinner sighted 45-70 Marlin to knock a yearling deer down at ~85 yds, 10-12 yds back in the woods. It was better than a scope. I hunt in a lot of thick pines and timber, and missed a deer at ~25 yds with a scope due to limited view. Hit a limb I did not see... The Skinner peeps are much better imo
Steve
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

oscarflytyer wrote:nearly all of my (many) levers, from 22 LR to 45-70, have Skinner sights. I love them. It helps my old eyes still shoot and keep the original concept of the old levers w/o scopes. You do have to learn/know how to use peep sights. I learned on the M16. And the Skinner quality and customer service is outstanding! I have traded emails with Andy more than once and his always willing to go above and beyond. I would also recommend his wide front post sights. Combined with the peep, it is great in the field. Cpl of years ago, I used my Skinner sighted 45-70 Marlin to knock a yearling deer down at ~85 yds, 10-12 yds back in the woods. It was better than a scope. I hunt in a lot of thick pines and timber, and missed a deer at ~25 yds with a scope due to limited view. Hit a limb I did not see... The Skinner peeps are much better imo
After getting the .070" installed I think the aperture at the back of the receiver is going to be what my eyes needed. The front post sight looks clear now.
oscarflytyer
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by oscarflytyer »

They make a variety of diff sized rear peeps. Think about getting a cpl either side of what you like and try also.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”