Ruger 77-44 with Cast Bullets

Open forum for rifles.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Ruger 77-44 with Cast Bullets

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog in ‹ The Ammo ‹ Rifle Reloading < What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today? wrote:Started on the Ruger 77/44 yesterday with a barrel slug and chamber pounding. Ruger is using a slightly longer chamber/throat than the SAAMI spec with a longer cartridge fitting and feeding through the magazine so that is a win. The 18" barrel has a .420" bore and a .430" groove so will be using my TLC432-275-RF at it's designed diameter.

This is a really cute little rifle but I can see why it was discontinued. Despite my desire to want one real bad it has a couple of issues that I'm sure others see:
  • The Ruger scope rings & mounts are ridiculous especially on this super short action. I ended up using the Burris bases that give you space between the fore and aft mounts.
  • Associated with the rings and integrated mount comes a really short bolt handle that has little room for the eye bell of a scope. I thought my Zastava M85 Min-Mauser bad, Pfft!
  • The struggle to get the magazine out of the well. Holy cow! So far it is a two handed wrestling match!
Then there is the bolt shimming possibilities and heavy trigger pull but I'm ready for them with the shim kit and Basix Trigger replacement. I need to shoot this rifle before I lose interest in it as the scope stuff absolutely wore me out trying to figure it out.
Alrighty, been making peace with the 77/44 and it looks like it is going to shoot! It is a very nice looking rifle.

The bolt took a .003" shim to tighten up as many users suggested. Fresh out of the rifle, I could actually pull on both ends of the bolt and bend it because of the play between the two bolt halves.

I did not get the Basix trigger installed, I can't removed the stock to receiver screw. This is the screw that passes through the brass insert in the stock. It just isn't going to happen. This one has me really scratching my head as I've never not been able to remove a screw. I've had a number of firearms brought to me with this issue and not one has stood up to me. This little rifle has. I'm actually afraid that I'm going to crack the stock if I go any further. If Ruger will pay the shipping, I think I'm going to let them take care of it. I had a similar problem on my Mini-30, busted the head off of a screw and they ended up making me pay for the shipping, both ways, and repair because I damaged the rifle. This has become an screw vs. a trigger issue.

Now back to the trigger, it measures 6 lbs on a scale but at the bench feels like 3! Really strange, total surprize every time it goes off. Very little travel, I like it. I think that I will check with Basix to see if I can return the unopened package for a refund.

The stock does needs to come off as I need to be able to clean the unexposed barrel surface. The rifle had a lot of surface rust on it. The kind of rust that you cannot see until you rub the surface with a paper towel. I also want to look at the barrel to stock contact. It is tight which is fine as long as it is uniform but I think from the initial shooting it needs to be relieved.

I have the rifle sighted in at 100 yards with my TLC432-275-RF but the MOA performance is not as good, yet as either my Marlin 1894P or Rossi 92. It needs a bit more shooting to get near what they produce. The Ruger shot a 2.810 MOA group during the chronograph session. I'm using 25-grains of H110 vs. my normal Lil'Gun, still have over 3 lbs of H110 that I need to shoot up.

The stats beyond MOA were:
  • Average velocity: 1850 FPS
  • ES: 57 FPS
  • SD: 17.20 FPS
Plus the images and performance that the TMT software generates:

The Ruger will get it's chance at Lil'Gun and the 94P and Rossi are going to go back to H110 as well until it is gone. That ought to end their snickering at the 77-44 as they are the ones sitting there with the higher twist rates! The ruger is a 1:20, the Rossi 1:30, and the Marlin 1:38.

Also will let the Ruger choose which of my three bullets it likes best; my 250, 275, or 300 grain. They all have the same out of case profile, the body lengths are adding the weight. My 1894P likes the 300, the Rossi likes all of them so my hope is that the 250 or 275 is agreeable with the Ruger so that I have a 44 Mag for each bullet.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Ruger 77-44 with Cast Bullets

Post by akuser47 »

Looks sharp, also you might want to glass bed it I'm not sure were the lug is on those rifles may not need it but model 70 n Remy 700. I've had all did better for it. Lots of videos on Acra Glas to if you haven't done it. I love how those ruger look I alway buy somthing else instead some day I'll get one. I'm excited to see how you dial it in. Keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Still haven't been able to get it the bolt out so I can take the stock off. Soaking it with different lubes, will give it a couple more days and if not, Ruger will get to take it out if at their expense.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I really like the looks of that rifle. Hopefully you can get it near MOA.

About that screw - a couple of things come to mind:
1. Have you tried an impact driver?
2. How about applying heat? Give it a few heating and cooling cycles and that should help the oil get in the threads and weaken any loctite if Ruger used any.

I'd use a chisel tip soldering iron something like this:

Soldering Iron
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 357cyrus »

Thanks for the report on issues with this rifle. I was kind of scratching my head as to why it was discontinued. Seems like a great concept to me, I was very interested in picking one up in 44 or 357... Still might if I find a good deal on one.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good morning guys! The rifle kind of fell by the wayside this week as I was back working on my SMLE sporter once again, this time with unbelievable results! Good sub-MOA results that I will cover in another topic!

The bolt has been soaking with some penetrating oil for the entire period so will see what happens this weekend.
klr wrote:I really like the looks of that rifle. Hopefully you can get it near MOA.

About that screw - a couple of things come to mind:
1. Have you tried an impact driver?
2. How about applying heat? Give it a few heating and cooling cycles and that should help the oil get in the threads and weaken any loctite if Ruger used any.
I tried both the impact driver and heat. What I used was heat from a propane torch applied to a screwdriver seated in the slot.
357cyrus wrote:Thanks for the report on issues with this rifle. I was kind of scratching my head as to why it was discontinued. Seems like a great concept to me, I was very interested in picking one up in 44 or 357... Still might if I find a good deal on one.
This is a very handsome rifle, Ruger has done a great job of finishing it but it does have some hiccups that I've noted. The magazine fit is most worrisome, I have three magazines, and it is tough to get any of them in. Once in, the only way to get them out is using one hand to push through the ejection port on the magazine itself and the other hand is used for the release button. The magazine will not eject with three cartridges in it. I guess the plastic is swelling against the spring pressure and locking it in the receiver.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:Good morning guys! The rifle kind of fell by the wayside this week as I was back working on my SMLE sporter once again, this time with unbelievable results! Good sub-MOA results that I will cover in another topic!
+corn

If the impact driver, heat, and penetrating oil soak don't work then the next step would be to drill it out. Likely it would be best to send it back to Ruger and fix both the mag issue and the screw.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The rifle has been sitting with a bit of Blaster lube on the screw since my last post. In the meantime I bought a new impact driver from Harbor Freight for $9 and "bam" it is loose. Now I can get to work.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

awesome +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Rifle Discussions”