RD? on Ruger Mini 30?

Open forum for rifles.
Mainehunter
My Press Choice: Turret

RD? on Ruger Mini 30?

Post by Mainehunter »

RD.... Did you ever get your Ruger Mini 30 going using the 7.62x39 mold you designed? Looks like Ruger put out a 16", SS model that I'm seriously thinking of getting for coyotes and truck gun. Need something light and handy.

Maineguide
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: RD? on Ruger Mini 30?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes, I did. I have not shot the rifle in a year. Too many irons, firing irons, in the fire. I need to start going back through a handgun and a rifle every week until I cover them all. Maybe that would provide some insight in which probably need to go.

What I want to do with the Mini-30 is go back with some jacketed bullets, I bought the Speer #2213, and see exactly what the rifle's potential is before I call it good with the cast. With Federal Fusion factory ammo I measured ten shot groups of 2.665"/2.545 MOA at 100 yards. With the PPU 125 grain RN, 3.605"/3.443 MOA. If I had used 5 shot groups they probably would have been only 2/3s of these numbers, maybe half. The cast sits near the Federal but I would like it to be better but you kind of get to the point of wondering if this is as good as it gets? Maybe the Speer bullet with a few powders will tell me where the rifle's accuracy stands. I received the bullets in December and they are in the lineup.

I didn't have any load issues with the Zastava Mini-Mauser, it is a tack driver but it has liked everything. My Savage 10FCM Scout has a .300" groove and .308" bore, so I use the TLC310-165-RF (300 Savage bullet) and is super accurate and good out to 300 yards.
Michael
Mainehunter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: RD? on Ruger Mini 30?

Post by Mainehunter »

Boy! That Zastava Mini-Mauser you have sounds awesome! I'm hoping my Ruger M77 will shoot just as good! The plan is to order the Ruger Mini 30 in the next couple of weeks. I don't think I'll get a around to load up any cast bullets any time soon so in the mean time I'll shoot up a few boxes of Wolf or Tulammo ammo to smooth out the bore a little and get good feel of what it's capable of.

Mainehunter

Return to “Rifle Discussions”