PIA Mounting a scope on a Savage 111

Open forum for rifles.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

PIA Mounting a scope on a Savage 111

Post by horseman »

Received a pre-accu trigger (flat back) Savage 111 in 7 mag a few weeks ago. It had a Simmons 3x9 scope, mounts and rings. I'm sure it was a "package deal" like Savage puts out occasionally. Not being to fond of that scope set up I ordered a Vortex 3x12x42 Diamondback HP to replace it, which was recommended by a guy who knows about this stuff. (other than just Leupold, Dillon, or Ford). Here's what I've run into so far. :evil: Number one, it would appear that new scope makers are (at least this one) making scopes with shorter body's than any of my "old" hunting rifle scopes (Busnell Elite 4200's, Redfield, and an old Bushnell Range Finder from 1970 that's sits atop my 06' from that date) The Savage Long Action is a really Looooong action, hence with the two piece mounts (Savage) on the rifle there's no way the Vortex will "fit". Just not enough room on the body. :cry: Well okay, easy fix, ordered a one piece picatinney rail mount so I could set the rings pretty much anywhere and also be able to get the proper eye relief. Base mount showed up yesterday, :t went in to the reloading room, rifle is just sitting there in the gun vise waiting for it's new set-up. I'm all excited to get this together and go shoot it +guns . Get out the blue locktite, mount the rail to the rifle, perfect fit, torque to 20lbs, set the scope using the Simmons rings (pretty nice rings) get the scope level tighten the rings a bit, set the scope for good eye relief, tighten the rings. Looking really good. Oooops, variable ring won't turn. Hits the mount. :evil: Tried moving things about, no good, no way. Rings are to short. Couple ways to fix this (I THINK) go to a taller set of rings (not sure where that will leave me for shooting "form") or change over to a set of those "angled" mounts. Taking the rifle down to the local "gun store" today to see what "we" can come up with. This whole process is getting a bit irritating, and a bit expensive. No, I'm not putting the Simmons back on it...(besides, not sure I can get the rail off the rifle, cheesy cap screw heads will probably strip). Enough rant for today, just kinda bummed over this ordeal, looking stuff up, ordering stuff, waiting for stuff to arrive, installing stuff, stuff don't work.... :lol:
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: PIA Mounting a scope on a Savage 111

Post by akuser47 »

It's normal, I try to find info already out for similar specs on what I'm doing to avoid this. It's not always out there though. I feel your pain. Share some pictures when you get it done. +guns Vortex scopes are great optics for the money their warranty is amazing. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, sounds like a normal gun day for me! Scopes are getting more compact as are rifles, but you are right, the Savage long actions are the longest out there. You didn't say what rings you are using and the height? When I run into the issue you are having, specifically, the 110WLE I owned, I prefer to use extended rings over a single base across the ejection port. The WLE, a 300 Savage, had a blind magazine so was best to keep as much access as possible.
weaver_extended_rings.jpg
What is funny is that my Ruger 77/44 was too compact for even a compact scope!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yeah, sounds like a normal gun day for me! Scopes are getting more compact as are rifles, but you are right, the Savage long actions are the longest out there. You didn't say what rings you are using and the height? When I run into the issue you are having, specifically, the 110WLE I owned, I prefer to use extended rings over a single base across the ejection port. The WLE, a 300 Savage, had a blind magazine so was best to keep as much access as possible.
weaver_extended_rings.jpg
What is funny is that my Ruger 77/44 was too compact for even a compact scope!

I like the looks of those rings RD but I doubt there's enough adjustment for the Vortex scope and the Savage long action. The Vortex has a short body between the turrets and the start of the 42mm scope "bell" and "Zoom" turret. The rings I was trying to use were the Simmons rings, not sure if they're short or mediums. I hope they're a short set which would mean I may possibly get by with a set of mediums. This rifle also has a blind magazine and using the one piece picatinny mount isn't my first choice either. I looked at some "angled" mounts (don't know what else to call them) and they would probably work but I was a bit concerned as to their ability to handle the recoil of a magnum round. Advertising aside.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Got the scope mounted, used the only set of high rings McCready had in stock, my least favorite, Weaver. Well, not my least favorite, but they're down the list a ways. Scope just barely clears the mount at the magnification turret, but that'll work. I'll need to get out and shoot the thing to see how the cheek weld fits. Gonna be awhile for that though, snowin' again today. :( ..

savage 002.JPG
savage 003.JPG
savage 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looks good to me!
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Nice,keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Rifle Discussions”