35/30-30

Open forum for rifles.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 35/30-30

Post by Macd »

I used to worry about getting nice shiny bullets out of the Lee molds. I found it hard to get proper fill out and shiny at the same time even though I have an electric pot and a lead thermometer. Got tired of culling wrinkled bullets and just got used to a bit of frost. I use wheel weights with added tin solder. Getting a bullet alloy here would cost more than jacketed or commercial cast bullets. It is getting harder to source lead weights but I have several hundred pounds so I am probably good for the foreseeable. Not sure how much longer my arthritis is going let me keep loading and shooting.

Keep these interesting discussions going. They are an important part of the enjoyment of a great hobby.
Billinthedesert
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Billinthedesert »

Ran a few through the rifle today, and the sights are way off. At the lowest setting, 200-grain Rem Corelokts just tickled the top of my target at 25 yards, and the NOE 230s, also over 33 grains H4895, were way up in the cardboard above the target at 50 yards. I am going to pop for a Lyman No. 2 tang sight and a new front sight and try this again as soon as I can. The rifle might be a doozy for Texas hogs, once dialed in.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I should be starting back on my rifle real soon, getting the chores caught up around here.
Michael
Billinthedesert

My excuse is my 94 is at my gunsmith's in Iowa, getting a receiver sight installed. With that and the cataract surgery in the morning on my shooting eye, I hope to be back at the range soon.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Billinthedesert wrote:My excuse is my 94 is at my gunsmith's in Iowa, getting a receiver sight installed. With that and the cataract surgery in the morning on my shooting eye, I hope to be back at the range soon.
Good luck with the eye cutting, I'm sure things will be better!
Michael
Billinthedesert

Got my 94 back this afternoon. Trouble is, I am having the left eye cataract done tomorrow, so it will be another fortnight before I can get the refreshed rifle to the range -- IF I can figure out how reading glasses fit in with rifle shooting. It's all new to me. Boy, this .35-30 wants to hunt piggies ...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Now that I got the 30-30 AI project completed, it is back on the 35-30 to see it through load completion with the TLC359-190-RF.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Discussions”