35/30-30

Open forum for rifles.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 35/30-30

Post by Ranch Dog »

Mainehunter wrote:What's the old saying? "Too many projects, not enough time".
I'm deep in debt to that saying! I keep telling myself, enough, but I just seem to pile more on top of what needs to be already done. It is interesting to hear that you are working with the 7.62x39 as that is a project that I need to get back on. I need bullets for it, but I'm bound and determine run my existing supply of bullets on the shelf done to acceptable levels before I cast anything else. I've done well with this task this year. I will do a little casting to for this project; both the Lee and NOE but not the vast inventory I would in the past.

I do remember the Ken Waters writing about my project cartridge, but it has been a long time since I've seen anybody working with it. I think JES was surprised when I talked to him about it. Before I started on the stocks, I decided to do a bit more fitting of the base against the barrel band. I'm glad I did, I found out that I need to do some trimming of the pillar used in the dovetail as it does not fit the radius of the barrel or underside of the mount.

Right now this afternoon after a much-needed nap, I'm thinking of using a 7/16" grinding wheel on a Dremel to cut a slot on the underside of the mount rather than reshape the pillar. Will ponder it some more, no need to get it a hurry when it comes to removing metal.

I just finished slugging the bore and JES hit my request right on the money; .347" bore & .357" groove. I am going to take a chamber cast as I have never seen a chamber drawing of this cartridge. It will also give me a detail of exactly what the brass length should be. I'm thinking about call Lee and putting my FCD & Case Length Gauge die on hold because I already know it is not going to be 2.040". I should have waited until I have had the rifle in hand. I'm going to use sulfur for the chamber cast rather than lead.

Probably going to start sanding the stocks tomorrow. I've already started with working the butt stock down to fit the Decelerator to it.
Michael
Mainehunter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Mainehunter »

The 7.62x39 cartridge has always interest me for quite some time being short, compact and very efficient in powder burn. I'll being using two molds you designed for the short necks. The x39 mold will used in the Mini 30 but in the Ruger, with it's .308 bore and chamber throat area is a "Evel Knievel" jump to the lands, I'll be using the 300 Savage mold. I do recall you did have similar problems with your Savage 10 scout?

I need to dig out my notes on the 35-30 chamber design. Your right about the case length not being 2.040 but I'm going by memory mine was around 2.020 +/- .005. I've done it using Rotometels casting alloy and pure lead ball and I think the pure lead method gave me consistent measurements. It's interesting that your going to be using sulfur for the chamber cast. There was a discussion few months ago on another forum using it.

Mainehunter
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Mainehunter wrote:The 7.62x39 cartridge has always interest me for quite some time being short, compact and very efficient in powder burn. I'll being using two molds you designed for the short necks. The x39 mold will used in the Mini 30 but in the Ruger, with it's .308 bore and chamber throat area is a "Evel Knievel" jump to the lands, I'll be using the 300 Savage mold. I do recall you did have similar problems with your Savage 10 scout?
Yeap, I'm still quite fond of the 7.62x39 in my both my Mini-30 and Sav 10 Scout!
Mainehunter wrote:It's interesting that your going to be using sulfur for the chamber cast. There was a discussion few months ago on another forum using it.
I bookmarked a topic on Shooter's Forum were an old gunsmith talked about it. Figured I'd give it a try.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rather than do the chamber cast, I decided to call JES and see what chamber length he cuts the to. He said that he reforms a new 30-30 case and then cut the chamber to fit it. So, it all comes down to the case that he used that day I guess. :? He ought to at least include that case :|

So, I started with a trimming down a 38-55 Win case until I could get it fitted into the chamber. I then started trimming it down until I could close the action and not have the case mount crimp down which stopped occurring about 2.010". I guess I will target a 2.005" case length. Back to 30-30 Win cases.

I was able to stop the order for the Factory Crimp die, but the trimmer is already on its way. I need to order an FCD for my Savage 170 & 340 30-30 Wins, with my bullets they need a 2.000" case to match the crimp groove. I will order that die along with one for the 35-30 at the same time.

It looks like the NOE 360-230-RF should be a good fit in the case and match the crimp groove for a 2.500" COAL. Still, need to get them cast and see if the ogive will fit.
Michael
Mainehunter

Post by Mainehunter »

I find that odd how JES is cutting the chambers that way BUT I'm not a gunsmith and he's been doing it for awhile and it works. Your case length bugs me I find that a little too short. In my notes my max case length was 2.030 and max COL was 2.500.

The other thing I found out in my notes was the NOE 360-230-RF it needed to be seated deeper in the case since the ogive was a little wider than expected so my COL was 2.469.

Mainehunter
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Hard to read. I hate being grammar guy but I think I understand.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Mainehunter

Post by Mainehunter »

GasGuzzler wrote:Hard to read. I hate being grammar guy but I think I understand.
I usually preview what I type but trying to type on a cell phone without my reading glasses on plus having an argument with my youngest daughter didn't help the situation so sorry if I confused you professor.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Mainehunter wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:Hard to read. I hate being grammar guy but I think I understand.
I usually preview what I type but trying to type on a cell phone without my reading glasses on plus having an argument with my youngest daughter didn't help the situation so sorry if I confused you,professor.
After reading my post, I think he was talking about my writing.

Yesterday afternoon, I was thinking about calling JES back to see if he will recut the chamber to accept a 2.040" cartridge length (which I would provide). I did size several brands of 30-30 Win brass; Frontier, Rem, WWS, and Win, and they all ended up around 2.005 to 2.010". After that resizing effort, I felt that I should just leave well enough alone.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I was trying to joke with RD. My apologies.

I just started "regular" 30-30 and two brands of factory ammo shot out of my waffle top averaged 2.03" after sizing. Haven't tried the Lee trimmer stud yet to see where it puts them.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I was trying to joke with RD. My apologies.

I just started "regular" 30-30 and two brands of factory ammo shot out of my waffle top averaged 2.03" after sizing. Haven't tried the Lee trimmer stud yet to see where it puts them.
No need to apologize. The Lee trimmer shouldn't touch them as the SAAMI spec is 2.039".

Sizing the 30-30 Win brass for the 35/30-30 shortens the case as the five calibers greater neck causes length to flow to diameter.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Discussions”