45 Colts 92 getting a make over

Open forum for rifles.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

45 Colts 92 getting a make over

Post by RBHarter »

Looooonnnngggg term project . I bought the new bbl yesterday . The new bbl is due to a number of Rossi bugs that while not intolerable don't lend themselves to my needs ........er.... wants ........... desired level of accuracy .
In this rifles case the chamber is 1.350 for a 1.285 case ..... There is a dip under the front sight and that 16" barrel is 16.000001 from the head space lip at the breach .
Among suggestions made by a master gunsmith , by personal knowledge not some ad , were to mill in a 1913/Weaver rail in the barrel top with a half round half octagonal barrel ......kaaching....did ya hear the cash register cycle just saying that in pixels , I did !

I'm a little torn the 50/50 octagonal barrel with a wedding band just oozes class and I have no doubt that he can excicute that with polish and blueing about 4' deep . The rail thing though ....classic goes out the window , but actually 4-5 inches that at worst extends the top of the receiver line and leaves mouse ears just above the receiver edge line wouldn't look at all bad . Let's face it you can't get a mount a lot more rigid than being milled into the parts .
Additionally there is discussion of a milled ramp and cuts for whatever sight insert is called for . So somewhere in all of this lays real blood and guts hard core reliablity and a glorious one of a kind rifle .......

Being a 92' , much less a Rossi which makes the Remlin 1895 look aesthetically cheap , it's hard to make the call . If I thought for a second that Africa , Alaska or long ride pack trips were in store for the 1895 45-70 this would be a no brainier .

Has anybody seen such a thing ? I've tried the ol' googlefoo to no avail . I suppose it's possible that it's never been done . It may not be possible without building up the barrel . It may be possible with an alternate rail style I have a mount that flips over for a 3/4 or 5/8 rail ....... integrated Ruger rail ?

If anybody finds a picture of such a thing I'd like to see it .
Input on design or a smack upside the phone will be welcome also .
+guns
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Discussions”