Parker Hale #4 Supreme .303b

Open forum for rifles.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Parker Hale #4 Supreme .303b

Post by Macd »

Can't source preferred mount in Canada and they are export restricted from the USA. I was able to get this though. Will see how it turns out.
ATI LE Mount.jpg
I splurged and I also got this one for the Mauser.
Mauser Mount.jpg
I will report success or failure with either mount but since the weather is getting less friendly for range visits it may take awhile.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think ATI makes a good product, better quality than Sun Optics. I'm looking forward to the report. Just out of curiosity, what Province do you live in and are you a hunter?
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Newfoundland and Labrador and yes I hunt. Unfortunately health issues have kept me out of the woods this last little while. I get out to the range as much as I can and shoot IPSC Level 1 although I take my time in the stages lol.

BTW my friend in Ontario picked up a P-H Custom #1 built on a 1917 No. 1 Mark III receiver. Good wood, sharp bright barrel and about 70% bluing. Like mine it has the adjustable trigger. It is drilled and tapped for a side mount which he got with rifle. He paid C$200. He offered it to me but I just can't justify another rifle at the moment.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I was watching "Spy Games" last night; there is a scene where Brad Pit is a sniper in Vietnam war at the end of the war ('75) and does a hit on this NVA officer on behalf of the CIA. He uses a Parker Hale Lee Enfield T4 Sniper rifle. Seen the movie probably two times but never noticed the cocked bolt of an SMLE!

Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Very nice. Only No. 4 (T) I ever saw in person was still in a wooden crate with base, scope, sling, web case and other accessories at the depot stores at the London, Ontario base of the Royal Canadian Regiment. It was declared surplus and going up for bids. They also were selling off some never issued 1950's era BSA motorbikes. This was in the early 70's. In the mid-70's, the Canadian Army chose the Parker Hale M82 with some slight modifications as their sniper rifle. It was designated the C3.
Thanks for sharing.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

So finally got rifle. Delay was waiting for another few bits and pieces that were coming from a gunsmith in Ottawa. Installed the base and while a bit high I think it will work okay with low rings and a 20mm scope.
The rifle bolt and receiver are matching numbers. The bolt head is a #0 which makes me feel good about tightness. The bolt action is smooth with virtually no play. Rifling is really sharp and looks almost new. FTR was 1955 but I think Parker Hale put on a new barrel.
ATI LE Mount2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice looking. Looking forward to your handloading and shooting reports!
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Scope mounted and ready for sighting in when the weather cooperates. Scope is 1.75" above centre bore. It is an older(1950"s ?)1.5-4.0x20mm Bushnell Banner but it was made by Bausch and Lomb (Stamped on bottom of scope) and is as clear and bright as my $400 Nikon. Cheek welds in the correct spot so I am real happy.
PHaleScope Mounted.jpg
PHaleScope Mounted2.jpg
I stripped the whole rifle down and discovered that the barrel was stamped F53. After some research I am convinced this means it was the replacement put on the rifle when it was FTR'd in 1955 at Fazakerly. The receiver is a Maltby. It was probably then put in storage until sold to Parker Hale in the 1960's.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Perfect scope for a 303 British!

So, what you have in mind for ammo?
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I ordered some Speer 180 grain HCRN soft points. I have some cast 160 and 180 grain RN bullets also that I want to try with Trail Boss. That should get me started.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”