Parker Hale #4 Supreme .303b

Open forum for rifles.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Parker Hale #4 Supreme .303b

Post by Macd »

Sad day. I had to pass on a chance to purchase a PH built on a 1942 Maltby #4 Mk 1/2 action with a excellent barrel, almost 100% bright bluing and a beautiful walnut stock. The action was FTR'd in 1951. Price was C$300. Too many rifles in the cabinets already. I feel like a yoyo as I just almost phoned my friend back and made the deal. :cry:
Last edited by Macd on 08 Nov 2017 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Parker Hale #4 Sumpreme .303b

Post by Macd »

Update. I broke down and made the deal. Includes sling, new case and box of cartridges as well as a cheap but new scope.
IMG_0647.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Parker Hale #4 Supreme .303b

Post by larryw »

Looks sweet, congratulations Mac. Look forward to more pics &
range report.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very good deal. I started with your opening post and my intent was to ask for your friend's phone number!!!

Mine, the recently rebuilt scout, loves the PPU 180 BTSP and H110V.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Thanks. I just couldn't resist. Now I have to find the best scope mounts. One piece or two? I have a companion 1100 deluxe build on a Santa Barbara Mauser action. I floated the barrel today. Just as soon as I get the bolt that I forgot to mail to myself when I bought the rifle in Ontario my last trip there I will try to get out to the range. Should arrive this week. I have some Hornady 168 A MAX I want to try as well as some old 190 spire points that apparently aren't made anymore. Thinking maybe H4350 for the A MAX's and IMR 7828 for the 190's.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:Thanks. I just couldn't resist. Now I have to find the best scope mounts. One piece or two?
Did PH drill and tap it for a base? Did you have a picture of the screw pattern?
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Macd wrote:Thanks. I just couldn't resist. Now I have to find the best scope mounts. One piece or two?
Did PH drill and tap it for a base? Did you have a picture of the screw pattern?

Not driledl and tapped yet. I was also looking at the Accumount as an alternative to this.

https://www.accumounts.com/enfield-303- ... hotos.html

I have one by them on my K31 and one of their scout mounts on my M96 Swede. No problems so far. ATI and Sun Optics make an aluminum versions but I have mixed feelings about using aluminum.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think the Accurmount would be the way to go, it looks like a good low fit.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Been thinking about the base that you are looking at and if you haven't bought it yet, you might contact them and ask how high it puts a 1" tubed scope over the bore. All of these mounts I've looked at, a total of three, end up with the scope high and making a good cheek weld on the comb of the stock difficult.

I also thought I would mention the Weaver #48203 that was mounted on my No. 4 Mk1. The 48203 is a very low aluminum base that uses 3/8" dovetailed rings. It requires the receiver to be drilled and tapped and with low rings to place scope close to the typical 1.5" over the bore.

Here is the screw pattern on my receiver.

The scout scope setup on my rifle is 1.25" above the bore. The Weaver base is .15" higher than the XS Scout base. Weaver 3/8" grooved receiver rings, only one height, are .23" higher than the Weaver Lever-Lok Medium rings on the scout. So this base with the referenced rings would be .38" higher or 1.63" above the bore. If you went with something like the Leupold 3/8" rings, their low rings are .1" lower than the Weaver; you would be at 1.53" above the bore> I don't know if the $40 difference would be worth the .1"!

The one review on MidwayUSA concerning the Weaver 48203 is not good, but I wholeheartedly disagree. My rifle had this setup on it for a lifetime when I bought it, and both the base and the rings were a bugger to get loose. The Weaver is aluminum but not cheap aluminum, and with the forward ring up against the forward stop of the dovetail, they are not going anywhere.

The only disadvantage of the setup is that you must drill and tap the receiver, but the rings and bases are about $35.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

That looks like a good setup. Thanks for all the information. I have decided on a scout mount and the one you have fits the bill perfectly. I am going to wait until I get the rifle before finalizing things.

Return to “Rifle Discussions”