ATI Model 98 Mauser Scope Mount

Open forum for rifles.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

ATI Model 98 Mauser Scope Mount

Post by Macd »

Promised a picture of the completed installation and here it is. The hardest part was cutting the relief in the stock. In the end I used a Forstner bit to take out most of the wood and get the correct depth. Still a lot of chisel work as can be seen from the shavings. Figure the centre of the 1-4x20 scope will be about 2.25 inches above centre bore.
IMAG0415.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: ATI Model 98 Mauser Scope Mount

Post by Ranch Dog »

That looks nice, but it is high. I guess the height was needed the height so that cartridges could clear the ejection port. Not many slots cut in it either.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Here is the scope mounted (1-4x20 Nikon). Couple of things about mount.
  • It was easy to install and line up once the relief in the stock was cut.
  • The back of the mount is stiffened using a set screw that contacts the receiver. I think this is a weak point that may need some additional attention.
  • The centre of the scope is exactly 2 inches over centre bore which gives a high head hold (Very European). I think I may add a cheek pad.
  • The Weaver Quick Detachable rings are a PITA to use as they tighten only on one side which makes leveling the scope difficult as it turns as you tighten. I usually use a scope leveling kit but it wasn't useful and it was all trial and error. I chose the rings as they were the lowest I could find.
  • Laser bore sighted and windage only needed a view clicks. Elevation was set at 1.75 inches low at 25 feet. this should give me a good place for sighting in if the weather and "Honey Do List" ever cooperates.
IMAG0416.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Here is a quick trajectory table for the cast bullet I am using. Of course the proof of all this armchair calculating will be seen at the range.
8mm Table.JPG
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

That looks pretty good +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:The Weaver Quick Detachable rings are a PITA to use as they tighten only on one side which makes leveling the scope difficult as it turns as you tighten. I usually use a scope leveling kit but it wasn't useful and it was all trial and error. I chose the rings as they were the lowest I could find.
Yeap, that is about as low as they get and they do rotate the tube as tighten. I've spent a lot of time with them and learned to start with the vertical 1° to 2° counterclockwise. That usually brings them upright. With the Savage 99, I hit the nail on the head the first time.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Discussions”