1922 oviedo mauser

Open forum for rifles.
todddoyka
My Press Choice: Single Stage

1922 oviedo mauser

Post by todddoyka »

recently got a 1893 spanish mauser(1922) in 7x57. the stock is an unfinished(80-85% complete), barrel is cut to 21" and the bore is a mess. unmatching serial #, there is no rear or front sight. about all i can say good is the trigger works. my gunsmith will determine if it is safe or not. if not, oh well, i spent $80. it will be pieced out .

if yes, then the gunsmith will d&t it for a scope, bend the bolt, do a two position safety, replace the trigger to something like timney or such and rebarrel the action. the stock, i don't know about it. maybe it will stay, maybe it not.

since i done a 7x57(98 mauser/20" douglas) years ago(i gave to my son),i think it will be a 257 roberts. i'll use it for whitetails(about 150lbs or so) only. i won't be taking my shots long range, 300 yards and under. most likely it will be 50 yards and under in brush that i hunt. i have a 9.3x57, 444 marlin, 45-70 and a 500 linebaugh rifles. i've used a 223 thru 500 linebaugh calibers and i found that a 7 mauser is the best of them. but........i wanna 257 bob!!!!

this will be next years rifle. i have too many irons in fire to do a bob right now. but i'm open to suggestions? should i do a bob or not?

​Μολών λαβέ !

todd
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 1922 oviedo mauser

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Heck, yah. Don't have a Bob but wanted one some time ago.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

No flys on a Roberts . The 100 gr Sierra GK with a start load will lay the smack down on a hog . I was concerned it would be too much bullet being for the 25-06' , turns out inside 100 yd it doesn't matter .

Be careful of the action some of them were run through heat treat with the 98's from the same stock and some of them are soft . I got 1 of each . Unfortunately the Roberts is on the really soft one . It'll make a great cast shooter anyway .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Cool keep us posted I like sporterized mausers.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
todddoyka

Post by todddoyka »

i got a 1944 '98 mauser in 8x57. the barrel is smooth 4" from the muzzle. it will be rebarrel job.

​Μολών λαβέ !

todd
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

From that angle it looks like you welded a cup holder on that gun :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

todddoyka wrote:i got a 1944 '98 mauser in 8x57. the barrel is smooth 4" from the muzzle. it will be rebarrel job.

I have a 98 8x57 with a bad Throat, I wanna send to JES and have It reamed to .35 Whalen...
todddoyka

Post by todddoyka »

Fyodor wrote:From that angle it looks like you welded a cup holder on that gun :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
​Μολών λαβέ !

todd
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Jeff H »

Nice catch on the old Mauser! Old Mausers get to me - I love the things and I love the 'Roberts.

I have a military '98, FN action 257 Roberts my dad built for me many years ago using a second-hand barrel he found standing in the corner of a gun shop. Expressed and interest, took some guff from the cranky old dealer, haggled, took it home and made a rifle of it.

Dang if that thing won't shoot! I have to seat bullets quite long because it has a long throat. Whether it was cut that way or shot out, I don't know, but it shoots 75 grain HPs at 3.3kfps and 100 grain SPs at 3.0kfps into 1/2" to 5/8" groups at a hundred yards and is easy on brass. Low pressure rounds get to me too - I love the things.

As far as the capabilities of the 'Roberts, it's still a step ahead of today's darling, the 6.5 Creedmore, using the same weight bullets with better sectional densities and slightly more velocity - without breaking a sweat. Not to knock the Creedmore, rather to point out that if the Creedmore is such a wonderfully capable round, the 'Roberts (and similar old, low-pressure "beginner," "youth" and "ladies' guns") certainly is too. You'll burn a little more powder, but not by scoopfuls.

I may have read the Nosler data wrong, but I had just compared them last night and that's what I'm seeing. I guess for knowing very little about the Creedmore, if it's that close to the old 'Roberts, it must be a good'n too. Just don't think I'd chamber a pre-98 in it, but a Roberts, with everything and more (except pressure), you bet. :t
larryw

Post by larryw »

Jeff H wrote: As far as the capabilities of the 'Roberts, it's still a step ahead of today's darling, the 6.5 Creedmore, using the same weight bullets with better sectional densities and slightly more velocity - without breaking a sweat. Not to knock the Creedmore, rather to point out that if the Creedmore is such a wonderfully capable round, the 'Roberts (and similar old, low-pressure "beginner," "youth" and "ladies' guns") certainly is too. You'll burn a little more powder, but not by scoopfuls.

I may have read the Nosler data wrong, but I had just compared them last night and that's what I'm seeing. I guess for knowing very little about the Creedmore, if it's that close to the old 'Roberts, it must be a good'n too. Just don't think I'd chamber a pre-98 in it, but a Roberts, with everything and more (except pressure), you bet. :t

+1
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Rifle Discussions”