How about a "Question of the Month?"

Something been on your mind that you have always wanted to ask and google is no help. Ask it here!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

How about a "Question of the Month?"

Post by daboone »

On another site (that is now defunct) a member put out to the membership at the beginning of each month a question concerning some aspect of handloading.

I'd like to suggest that we consider doing this if there are enough members interested in participating. If so should it be restricted to Lee Precision's offerings or more generalized? Or something in each category?

If interested please chime in with the kinds of questions you would like to see discussed by the membership. Maybe this idea is unnecessary because if we have questions we simply post them.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: How about a "Question of the Month?"

Post by mikld »

I think I'd like to see generic/general handloading questions. Mebbe a bit of handloading history.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

mikld wrote:I think I'd like to see generic/general handloading questions. Mebbe a bit of handloading history.
Weren't you the organizer of this type of thread on that other site? I thought it provoked several interesting insights on methods of handloading, use of tools and just fresh ideas. I have a couple of very early book published on handloading. True innovators of our passion.

Thanks for you response.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Nope, not me, I'm innocent! I participated in the "Question of the Month", but did not originate it. Off hand I can't remember the feller's name...
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I think it could be good, we have good people here as well so that helps as well. You could start a thread in topic bucket unless it holds direct relationship to be in progressives or powder measure sections it could float. Unless rd sees a better idea as to where it should be placed. I say go for it +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, let's try it. Just post it in the Topic Bucket and I will handle the positioning, probably into its own, standalone forum.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Well wait a minute...... er, ah, well I was hoping there would be tons of member's suggestions, hoping really hoping. :oops:

But in the mean time I will post one to get it started as RD suggested in the Topic Bucket. IF this generates enough interest then everyone's suggestions will appreciated for future topics.

daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: How about a

Post by daboone »

Who got a good reloading question for group discussion for November?

It doesn't matter how basic or advanced the question is. What matters is that we all participate with our thought, descriptions of methods or ideas about the question. Sort of a group " Think Tank".

jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by jloader »

daboone wrote:Who got a good reloading question for group discussion for November?

It doesn't matter how basic or advanced the question is. What matters is that we all participate with our thought, descriptions of methods or ideas about the question. Sort of a group " Think Tank".
All right here it goes...

Cast bullets have 2 types of lube groves, 'standard' and microband to use Lee's terminology.
What type of lube would you use for each?
Let's focus on soft lubes.

Would it be a good rule of thumb to use pan lube for 'standard' and tumble lube for microband?
Would the answers be different for pistols vs rifles? Standard vs Magnum loads?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

In the interest of full disclosure I don't own any microband molds. I do however own a couple that are a close equivalent Lyman P{ostel designs in 6.5 and 7 mm and my attempts to pan lube them so I could try them as cast were less than successful. I find with pan lubing the wide flat bottom grooves of standard designs seem to hold the lube better. Right now I'm using homemade Emmert's to both pan lube and in the lubrisizer. In the past I have pan lubed with SPG and Javalena. I have tumble lubed several conventional designs with the Johson One Step LLA mixture. Done twice if I needed to size them.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Question Of The Month”