Reloading 101 Reference Material

Something been on your mind that you have always wanted to ask and google is no help. Ask it here!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Reloading 101 Reference Material

Post by Steve »

RBHarter wrote:I have 4 Lyman manuals,a Hornady,a Speer ,a Sierra , a Hogdon , and an app that is fed by powder and bullet manufacturers web data .

I suggest a Lyman manual to everyone in addition to the kit manual.

The 50th Lyman and the shot shell manual are on my Christmas list.

Use every source you can .
Shot shells can be especially fickle . I've seen data demonstrate a primer change and jump pressures from 8800-15300 . Identical loads in FC gold metal and low bass Fiochi show 9900 and 14750.
Back in metallic cases S&B 9mm gives me no shoulder flat primers with the same load in Win brass a soft hold (limp wristing) has fail to feed . I'd venture a change of 5kpsi . That is why the lab that used FC vs Rem vs Win brass have different load data . I don't recall a cartridge but I have seen book to book difference of over 3 gr for max loads in 06 or x57 cases.
I learned on a Lyman manual when I was young and I have stayed with them. I didn't realize that they were to version 50, so I will get one soon. I also like there cast bullet loading manual.

I do have a few other manuals.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steve wrote:I learned on a Lyman manual when I was young and I have stayed with them. I didn't realize that they were to version 50, so I will get one soon. I also like there cast bullet loading manual.
It did surprise me that Lee did not add data for their cast bullet designs in the last revision to Modern Loading. Same for slug data.
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Steve wrote:I learned on a Lyman manual when I was young and I have stayed with them. I didn't realize that they were to version 50, so I will get one soon. I also like there cast bullet loading manual.
It did surprise me that Lee did not add data for their cast bullet designs in the last revision to Modern Loading. Same for slug data.
I think I will buy Lee also. I will take it to the range, we have kind of like a small library there. Just western books and load manuals.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Information overload? Back in the mid 1990 I decided to do more with reloading than simply use the recipes I'd been using for a very long time. Some of them my dad taught me to use. So I started a collecting books and information and I'm still at it. The latest is the Lyman 50th Edition.

I have on my bookshelf 6 different companies published manuals. That not counting 2 previous editions of both the Lymans and Lee's manual. I also have 6 Loadbooks, those caliber specific booklets. I didn't bother count the number of Hodgens, Alliant, IMR powder "magazines/pamphlets." There are also 3 editions Lyman's Cast Bullet manuals and old RCBS book.

In addition I have copies of Verals Smith's, Joe Brennan's and a printed out copy of Glen Fryxell's books. There are several other pamphlets hiding up there as well.

On my computer's browser I'm able to place "buttons" at the top of the page. There are 16 of those buttons. All take me to some reloading or gun information site. My daughters call them my "p o r n" sites. :o :? :P

I'm glad I have them and studied them, some several times. Do they make me a better handloader? No they don't but they have helped me learn a lot.

When I go to my bench what do I take? My notes. Not those books. Besides basic load data from those books my notes are far more precious. I learned to keep notes the hard way by failing to record info for a load combination that WORKED and then losing time to recreate it.

So I know this is a l o n g w i n d e d reply to the question. But it boils down to keeping notes. They are the BEST resource you can have.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
larryw

Post by larryw »

[/quote]But it boils down to keeping notes. They are the BEST resource you can have.[/quote]

Ain't that the truth !!!!
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I'm in the same school of thought as the rest. But use all information that's available to you. Begin at the lowest start load you find and work from there. I have no problem reading or listening to any load being used or discussed by others whether it's from my best friend, a "gun counter clerk", "forum expert" or internet website, it's just information, and because I'm going to verify anyway. I wouldn't remember the actual data anyway, (old age memory) but a powder recommendation is always welcome information, but I would for sure investigate it before a purchase. An example, Unique is probably one of the most popular pistol powders used today. I believe Herco is better for the same applications. Even being an "old" powder, a lot of "newer" loaders have probably never heard of it, or at the least know nothing about it. It's pretty much the same as Unique, just a bit slower in burn rate. A grain more powder (about) for the same pressure with a bit more velocity. Meters better, and is just as accurate. But Unique gets all the press, so that's what guys will buy and use in this "range". So, here's a "forum expert" giving a recommendation for a certain powder. Do your own research and see if it's a powder worth trying. Just trying to make a point here, but the info I just printed is true IMO. As the saying goes, trust but verify.

All the load data and "how to" information a person could want can be found right here on the internet in approved and legitimate sites. Having said that, IMO there's still no substitute for at least a couple good manuals.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Let's see - Lyman 49, plus an early spiral bound edition (not home right now to look), Lyman 45 I keep around for older powders, 2 volume Hornady, early Nosler (don't use their bullets much any more but have a lot left over from the 90s), P O's 2 volume set an old RCBS cast bullet and a early Lyman cast. Plus I usually buy the Hodgdon magazine edition each year. Internet I use Load Data a lot, other stuff I check against known sources.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I got a few reloading manuals (LEE, Lyman cast bullets, and a few German ones), but the one that helped the most in terms of reloading technique and setup was "K.D. Mayer - Handbuch für den Wiederlader", a very old German (only) book. I think the last issue was in the 70's...

Reloading data I pull from the websites of the powder makers, and from experienced reloaders.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I've primarily used Lee latest, and Sierra. I know better are out there I've been looking at Lyman n such but I always order more bullets or somthing else instead. :oops: maybe santa will bring me some new manuals. I think I have an old cast manual somewhere to. My first book for reloading was a first edetion abc's of reloading.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mnr45701
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mnr45701 »

I am relatively new to reloading. I have Lee's 2nd Ed which I got when I first started. I spend hours looking at vendors data tables on line and take notes. I just bought Hornadys 9th Ed so I'm now realising what others have said-- there are differences between books on what seem to be nearly identical loads. So now on my bench I still use Lees while I learn more. I stay conservative; I'm now unloading 500 rounds I think are too hot which Hornady said is a good max but Lees says is a full grain too hot. Love this hobby.

Return to “Question Of The Month”