Reloading 101 Reference Material

Something been on your mind that you have always wanted to ask and google is no help. Ask it here!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Reloading 101 Reference Material

Post by daboone »

Max Loads are not MAX loads for every gun. For some guns they are plain dangerous.

The best way to determine a MAX LOAD is by doing load work ups. Maybe it is just me but I have found the MAX LOADS rarely are the best performers for accuracy. Some say it's do to barrel harmonics. I don't know about that. I do know that usually somewhere in between min and MAX give the best results for me.

The way I do work ups is to start with a minimum loads and load 5 to 10 cartridges batches. Then add up to a half grain to the next batch till I get near the max usually stopping about 1/2 grain from max. Then I go shoot for groups using a new target for each batch. While doing this I pay attention to how the rifle sounds, feels, functions (for autoloaders this includes ejection pattern) and finally the target. Every time I change a single component, be it the case headstamp, primer, powder or bullet this load work up is done. Then when shooting these batches I write the results down in my trusty note book RIGHT THEN and THERE. This is one of the most Rewarding and Educational part of handloading.

From these load work ups I have determined what each rifle likes and dislikes. Over time I've found (for me) primers and case headstamp usually make the smallest impact to the type of shooting I do. Powder charge makes significant improvements. The biggest improvements comes the bullet used in the rifle. Now that I've become OLD I realize that some days I can't shoot for a damn. :oops:

The difference for handguns is I am rarely am concerned about headstamps or primers. Powders and bullet combinations do make a difference but not as much as it does for rifles.

Those notes I've kept have helped me during powder/primer shortages to select a powder that wasn't a favorite but still keep on shooting. Casting 95% of my bullets also helps me keep on shooting. Those notes have also saved me a LOT of money in the form of powder. Using less powder equals MORE reloads for better results.

I have NEVER found for myself a gun the likes MAX LOADS. For a few of my old mil surplus guns they would be disastrous. Even for my son's black rifles the max loads aren't the best.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

My 6.5" Blackhawk likes being pushed hard with nearly every bullet and powder combo I've tried from 140 to 185 grains. Lighter the load, bigger the spread.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by cj8281 »

I started out with the old Speer number 11. I started casting right after I "apprenticed" reloading with a friend of mine. The first thing I bought was an old RS 2 press, a set of RCBS carbide dies, a 5-0-5 scale and that #11. I went years with just that book. The next book that I bought was the #13. After comparing the two books I discovered something. The #11 was all based on the CUP system and the #13 was based (for the most part) on the PSI system. There were some cartridges that suffered from that. I have my own theories on the what and the why but when it comes to loading the 38 special, I still use the #11.

Recently I have started collecting more books, the #14 Speer, then the Hornady book as I was using more and more of their bullets and the last one that I bought was the Lee 2nd edition. Really like that book, not so much for the load data and all of that but for the other information.

The two on line reference sites that I really like are the ones for Hodgdon and Alliant powders.

When I did start out, I took notes of what loads I had loaded, a list of favorite loads that seemed to work well for my gun. Sad thing is after one of my moves it had disappeared. I believe that my wife at the time threw it away because it was in such bad shape. It had had a rough life, traveling in a bag with all the gear to the range. It had lost it's cover and was in kind of poor shape. Was a sad day when I realized that it was gone.

Anyway, that is what I use.

Return to “Question Of The Month”