Magnum primers verses standard primers?

Something been on your mind that you have always wanted to ask and google is no help. Ask it here!
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Magnum primers verses standard primers?

Post by larryw »

daboone wrote:I strongly feel it is a VERY BAD idea to suggest there are no potential consequences. Certainly not one of my 6 manuals recommend doing this.

A new reloader SHOULD not try experimenting by doing anything not published in a manual. There is enough of a learning curve with all the different types powder, primers, bullet weight, light loads, max loads and compressed loads. Every gun is not the same and each can respond differently to any change in load data. I've seen overpressure primers using published data.

I'm not as smart as those who publish reloading data.

Whatever you guys do is your decision.

Agree 100%, but that was not the question.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I have "substituted" between them in pistol loads with mid range charges. I see a lot of "reduce charges and then work up looking for pressure signs". While I do not have empirical truth to the fact, I've also read that looking for pressure signs in handguns is almost a futile endeavor as by the time "pressure" rears it's head you're way, way, beyond "normal" conditions. I DO know a test was done with RIFLE primers and without going in to all the data, it was shown that the difference between the "coolest" standard primer (Remington IIRC) and the "hottest" magnum primer (winchester) created a bit over 12,000 psi. There was more info included in the test but that's about all I can recall. Whether or not there's that kind of "difference" in pistol primers I have no idea. I don't advocate it, but I've done it, with caution.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I agree daboone 100% I started this in the past as there was two options don't shoot or do this. Just because I jump off the roof please don't follow me lol. I don't recommend a new reloader to ever not follow published load data. It could and can be dangerous. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Well as Larry pointed out I didn't really respond to the question. Instead I just "jumped off the roof" and hit the panic button. :oops:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

[quote="daboone"]Well as Larry pointed out I didn't really respond to the question. Instead I just "jumped off the roof" and hit the panic button. :oops:[/quote.
Not at all, your cautions were reasoned and well stated. We all need to stay aware that on any givens day there are a number of new to hand loading guys and gals tuning in here I've always taught folks that I introduce to the hobby to do as the manuals says and not as I sometimes do. I will experiment, but its with knowledge guided by nearly 50 years of experience. I shoot a lot of wildcats and data is sometimes not abundant, but I sure don't recommend that a beginner start out with wildcats. One of the reasons I seldom mention load data on internet forums.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

.....and like anything else in reloading, changing one component for another in one load may have very little effect but the same change in a different caliber, different powder, different chamber may make a big change.

I started with .357 and it's probably the easiest and one if the most forgiving cartridge. Not so for others.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

In my Speer manuals they differentiate between magnum and regular primers by the type of powder that is used. Take the 30-30 for instance. Now, as everyone knows, the 30-30 is not a Magnum cartridge.
The specifics, Speer manual #13 second publishing.
The bullet: 150 flat soft point
The powders: 748, RE7, IMR 4895 to pick one from each type of powder.
The 748 is listed as needing a Magnum large rifle primer.
The other two are listed as only needing a regular primer.
748 is a flattened ball powder and is pretty dense, RE7 and 4895 are stick powders. Because of the larger air gaps in the stick powder, the flash from a regular primer can readily ignite all the powder as designed. A regular primer with 748 might not be able to consistently light the powder as intended so a magnum primer is used because it will be able to properly ignite the powder.

Another cartridge, the 357 Magnum
The bullet: 158 JHP
The powders: H110, Blue Dot, IMR 4227
H110 is listed as requiring a Magnum primer, 4227 and Blue dot are listed using a standard primer. 4227 is a cylindrical powder, Blue Dot is a flake powder and H110 is ball powder that is a very fine grain.

I have personally used CCI 550 (small pistol magnum) primers in 38 spl but they were shot in a 357 so there would not be any issues that way.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Sphericals also tend to have a deterrent coating that makes them harder to light.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Blanco

Post by Blanco »

I am by no means an expert on primers, but I have used magnums in a pinch, to replace regular primers. My understanding is that magnum primers burn a bit hotter and longer and have a bit harder cups.
To be honest I have used standard primers to light off magnum rounds and Magnum primers to light off standard rounds and I can't say as how I have ever noticed one bit of difference. I have discovered that for me personally I like Winchester primers for pistol and CCI primers for rifle.
YMMV
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Thanks
Chalk another up
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Question Of The Month”