Bulge Buster for 45 ACP

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Bulge Buster for 45 ACP

Post by bayou »

Hi, All -

I was getting a few failure to return to battery (FTRB) with my fairly new SR1911. I was shooting strictly my own handloads - 230 grain plated ball.

About 1% of the rounds experienced a FTRB. At the 1700 round mark, I did a couple of things to try to rectify this, including, a new recoil spring, slightly hand polishing the feeding ramp, more lubrication and a firmer grip hold on the pistol when firing. I also began using the Lee Bulge Buster for the 45 ACPs. Finally, I reduced the COL to 1.23" (from 1.24") and reduced the case mouth diameter from .470" to .468" using the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Prior to using the bulge buster, approx. 5% of the cases, after being sized, would not fit completely flush in the Dillon case gauge. The bulge buster uniforms the rim and bottom of the cases (where they fit in the shell holder) so that they all fit nicely and flush in the case gauge.

I took all of these steps at about the same time, so I can't tell if any one of them made a significant difference, but all of them taken together has resulted in zero FTRB in approx. 400 rounds.

I am a very happy camper, and my confidence in the reliability and functioning of the SR1911 using my handloads has gone up on the scale.

I'll keep shooting and practicing, and hope to become more accurate.

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Bulge Buster for 45 ACP

Post by RBHarter »

I have considered the BB several times when I had tight bases but the firing of the pick up brass generally fixed the tight fit . I may yet get 1 for 40/10mm just to form 6.8 and 32 Rem from 35 Rem .

Sounds like you found the fix .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
bayou

Post by bayou »

I also pick up a lot of range 45 brass whenever I can. I run all of it through the bulge buster in order to "uniform" the brasses. Of course, this is after the brasses have been run through the sizing die.

I do find that much of the range pick-up brass takes quite a lot of force to pass it through the die. That tells me the die is doing its job in uniforming the bases and rims, and I've given more confidence in reloading the picked up brasses.

I'm wondering if others have any experience using this bulge buster for 45 ACP, either positive, negative or neutral?

Thanks -

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Never really felt the need for one. Any RTB problems I've had have traced to over long loads or over "fat" bullets. In auto pistols I currently load for 380, 9mm,357 Sig and 45. Hunting and /or defensive loads get run through the case checkers, everyone, while plinking loads maybe get every tenth checked. This includes the auto pistols and the 357, 44 mag and 45 Colt .

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by jloader »

An interesting article about the 1911 and FTRB. Looking at some FTRB videos and doing some browsing, it seems that the 1911 are more prone to FTRBs than other guns...
No, I do not own one, but did some 'curiosity' searching...
Here is the article, it's a bit to technical for my paygrade thou:
http://www.m1911.org/technic21.htm
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Glocks are worse.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
bayou

Post by bayou »

jloader wrote:An interesting article about the 1911 and FTRB. Looking at some FTRB videos and doing some browsing, it seems that the 1911 are more prone to FTRBs than other guns...
No, I do not own one, but did some 'curiosity' searching...
Here is the article, it's a bit to technical for my paygrade thou:
http://www.m1911.org/technic21.htm
I have experienced some instances of FRTB (failure to return to battery) with my SR1911. I've got about 4,000 rounds through it at this point.

What I've learned along the way is that my 1911 is sensitive to recoil spring tension. That is, when the recoil spring tension is lessened by wear and usage, the chances of a FRTB increase. Case in point, I was experiencing some infrequent FRTB at about the 1,700 round mark. I changed the recoil spring with a factory replacement (18.5 pounds). The used recoil spring was a full 3 coils shorter than the new one. The next 2,000 plus rounds were without a single hiccup of any sort.

At that point, I had one FRTB. After the range trip, I disassembled the 1911. Upon inspection of this second recoil spring, this spring, like the previous one, was a full 3 coils shorter than a new spring. I installed the new spring. Only had one range trip with the new spring, but no hiccups of any sort.

So, my lesson is to inspect the recoil spring for length against a new spring. Three coils shorter and it goes. In any event, I think I will just change springs every 1,500 rounds or so. The springs are dirt cheap - $2 apiece direct from Ruger on the shopRuger.com website. Cheap insurance in my book.

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great advice Bayou. Have you ever slugged you SRC barrel for groove and bore diameters?

Question is totally unrelated to your post above.
Michael
bayou

Post by bayou »

I haven't yet done that RD. But I should do it.

Thanks for the reminder!

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
Joisey

Post by Joisey »

I rigged an air cylinder and foot control to my Lee C style reloading press. I just use this press for depriming and using my bulge buster dies.

The addition of the air cylinder makes things go a lot faster, but one must be a bit careful with their fingers lest they like bruised or cut fingers. I was quite surprised on how much range pickup brass is a bit "off" as far as being cylindrical. Surprisingly, the 380 acp is worse than the 45 acp. I guess due to the design of the pistol the cartridges were fired in.

I forgot to mention that I spray lube the cases before pushing them thru the bulge buster with a lanolin/alcohol spray. Makes it easier on everything. Oh, and I inverted the Lee C press so that I can place the brass in the die and then let the air cylinder push it thru. From there it drops down a plastic tube into a two gallon dollar store plastic pail. A LOT easier than pushing the brass uphill into the Lee storage container.

Return to “Handgun”