38 special PTE die problem

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 38 special PTE die problem

Post by Ranch Dog »

cj8281 wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:I thought you might have a 357 Mag expander plug but that plug is only .964" in length which makes sense as the longer cartridge is using the same die body.
I wonder why they would make 2 different ones as you can just adjust the die to accommodate the longer cartridge, probably even the 357 Maximum.
That is not quite the case as the setup instructions are specific as to the adjustment. Touch the shell holder and back one turn.

The body of both my 38 Spl & 357 Mag PTE dies are the same length, 2.175", so the only way to accommodate the longer brass of the 357 is to shorten the overall length of the plug. The die bodies are marked specific to the 38 Spl and 357 Mag, but in reality, only the plug is different. The SAAMI case length for the 357 Mag is 1.290", the 38 Spl 1.155", a difference of .135". In that I came up with a difference between the plugs of .134", I would suspect that my measurement of one of the plugs is off .001" or maybe I missed both by .0005". :?

I've always felt the handgun die instructions are written with Lee's progressive presses in mind. That setup is very crucial to ensure that there isn't any uneven pressure on the die turret against the shell holder. My experience has been that anytime you are outside the specific adjustment instructions, with any of the dies, there are problems with the loading cycle. That would include the adjustments on all the dies. With a single stage or turret press, it really doesn't matter how you adjust the die but something is wrong if it has to be adjusted outside of the recommended setup.
Michael
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by cj8281 »

Found an empty 357 mag case and tried it, it also does not work. The insert bottoms out against Riser body before fully actuating the Auto Disk.

Cleaned the 9mm PTE die that I just got. Installed it and the Riser with the Auto Disk on top. Does not work, again, the insert bottoms out against the Riser body. The distance from the disk to the edge of the body is .1115" so I believe that there might be a problem with the Auto Disk. When I get it back together I will measure what the vertical travel is with the 9mm PTE die.

There does seem to be appreciable wear on the Actuator were the powder measure lever for body rides. I did flip the Actuator around and try it but still no go. The Auto Disk does seem to have a bit of slack in the linkage when you first start to actuate the measure.
Momma says I have other priorities right now so I will get back to it later (hopefully) but I just wanted to update you with what I have found.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

I received the replacement insert and as expected, it also won't fully actuate the Auto Disk, even with the Actuator turned to the unworn side. I did measure the two 38 inserts and they are only a couple of thousands off from each other.
I did finally get the Auto Disk to fully actuate by "adjusting" the Riser body. It was either that or making another insert for it which would have taken longer.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

It isn't often that Lee's stuff doesn't fit. I'm glad you figured out a fix.
Michael
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

I don't believe that it is Lee's fault. I think I have another fix for the Auto Disk. I will probably buy another riser because I am contemplating buying another Auto Disk.
It is functioning fine right now with my 38 special setup. I can load 50 in about half an hour. I bought the priming setup for the turret and have been trying to get it work consistently but that is a story for another time and a different category.

Return to “Handgun”