Savage 99 fans here?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Savage 99 fans here?

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

357cyrus wrote:
alphalimafoxtrot wrote: I know if I am patient, a 99 will appear eventually.
Adam
I've thought about selling mine... Im not sure if Im ready to do it though. Most of my firearms have a specific "duty" if you will... Like a 9 iron, or a driver when golfing. My 99 I got because I thought it was a cool classic that I could use to hunt with. Ive got more options now, and while it shows its age, I'd rather not bang that gun up in the woods (Im kinda clumsy) So its probably not gonna see much "live action" any time soon... and theres awlays something I think I could use more. LOL
That's a good point - ask anybody with guns, and each one is for a very specific purpose even if it's someone who just collects certain guns.
Not everyone hunts wild hogs, deer, squirrels, or turkeys - and not everyone goes to Camp Perry or bangs away at steel gongs neither!

To be honest, I have a multiple interest in most of the guns I now limit myself to. Since I am not a hunter (at this point) nor am I an avid target shooter - nor a true "collector" - what I'm now "into" at this 52+ years of life is a little different with each gun I now have too.

For example, I finally got my first lever gun last year in a Rossi 92 .357/.38 carbine. It was the second half of a two gun combo I had also waited years to finally achieve - with a .357 Ruger Security Six 4" barrel wheelgun as its partner. Now that's a whole explanation unto itself - but pretty common most likely. Great fun guns for plinking, home and personal protection, SHTF planning, and yes you can go hunt with these guns for the appropriate beasts.

Another thing is being a natural born gearhead/motorhead kinda guy - it's in my family blood, my dad/grandpa/great grandpa/etc. all were machinists and engine guys - various other uncles were wheelwrights and engravers in the past. Guns and how they function and making them function even better is a great part of my hobby too. There's no coincidence that John Moses Browning patent guns make up most of my interest these days!

The Savage 99 appeals to my gun design interests as well as my gun history interest. It is and was a unique design that not only worked well, but really stood the test of time. Plus - I have matching Remington Model 81 rifles in .300 Savage that can shoot alongside for fun! Ultimately, I want to get into deer hunting again using vintage guns, and that's another reason for the .300 Savage interest.

OK so suddenly I looked at the computer clock and I've been typing far too long - gotta get ready for work!!

Take care
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.

Return to “Topic Bucket”