Lee Collet Die for .357 Magnum

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee Collet Die for .357 Magnum

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:Received my special order Short Bottleneck Collet Style Factory Crimp Die from Lee yesterday. Now I can load up my 190-grain cast bullets for the little Rossi 92!
SBNCS-FCD_38Spl.jpg

O.K. is this die just a "collet type" sizing die for 357mag RD. The "Short Bottleneck" wording part kind of threw me. Is it the same as the 44mag, 45 colt, et al; I need to order a couple more of those actually.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Horseman wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:Received my special order Short Bottleneck Collet Style Factory Crimp Die from Lee yesterday. Now I can load up my 190-grain cast bullets for the little Rossi 92!
O.K. is this die just a "collet type" sizing die for 357mag RD. The "Short Bottleneck" wording part kind of threw me. Is it the same as the 44mag, 45 colt, et al; I need to order a couple more of those actually.
The title of the topic is concerning the Rifle Collet Style FCDs for the 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, & 45 Colt. Where the SBN Collet FCD came up is that I'm using 38 Spl brass to fuel my Rossi 92 357 Mag with the long 190-grain cast bullet. Only way to make it fit the confines of the action. The 38 Spl brass is too short for the 357 Mag Collet FCD and the 38 Spl is too short for a special order Collet FCD. The Collet FCD works off the very short stroke of collet contact with the shell holder and requires a minimum length to actuate. The list of cartridges above are at that limit.

The SBN Collet FCD fixes the length requirement as it uses a custom two piece collet for the cartridge, the custom part providing the proper length so that shellholder contacts acts against the closed top of the die body. It really doesn't need to be a bottle necked cartridge, Lee was just trying to solve the FCD length issue for the cataloged cartridges. I have one for the 357 Mag and one could made for any cartridge. You could make a collet for the 25 Auto and it would work well. The SBN Collet FCD is a lot nicer die than the run of the mill FCD.
Rifle_Collet_FCD.jpg
SBNCS_FCD.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I got ya' RD. I see the problem was in the question I asked by calling it a "collet sizing die" DOH....I meant crimp die. Probably confused the heck out of you. I need to order some for the 44, 45, and 357. I had them for the 44 and 45 a few years back but I sold off all my Lee die sets and those went with the sets. Now I'm back to buying powder through expanders and collet crimp dies for the same calibers. You'd think after a few try's at this a guy would figure it out. :lol:

Return to “Rifle”