01/17 - Reloading Benches

Something been on your mind that you have always wanted to ask and google is no help. Ask it here!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

01/17 - Reloading Benches

Post by daboone »

How do you use and organize your bench? Strictly for reloading or other projects? Do you have a separate bench(s) for casting, gunsmithing, non gun project? I think available space is the most "pressing" ;) problem for most of us.

I have 2 benches strictly for reloading jobs. One bench for gun maintenance, gunsmithing, knife sharpening/making and assisting in the grandkids with pinewood derby building. Over each bench I use pegboard to store tools. 2 of my benches have drawers, thank the gods. There is never enough space for brass and lead storage so they reside under the eves of my home on shelves in sealed containers. Not the best solution but necessary.

I also have a separate portable bench for outside jobs and has multiple uses, bench sander, drill press, bandsaw and bullet casting. I need to build a shed but it live under a tarp. It's tools have hiding places around the house. I'm a bachelor, widow, ornery old cuss so I can get away with it.

So How do you manage your hobby/passions ?
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: 01/17 - Reloading Benches

Post by akuser47 »

Unfortunately, I have very limited space, so I have those plastic drawer n dresser deals from walmart to store my stuff. I also use cheap shelves on my walls for everything else it's chaos. I might redo it and prioritize. I am to scared to try right now lol. Finding tools can be hard at times and I hate that.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

My "shed" is 95% for reloading/casting. I use one bench for other stuff a homeowner may need for repairing stuff, but that bench doubles as a casting area. I was gifted with a new "Tough Shed" when we moved to Oregon and I built in benches; 2x4 framing with 2, 1/2" layers of plywood, glued and screwed, for the tops (they ain't movin' fer nuttin'). One bench goes from wall to wall on the "short side"; 8' and is dedicated to reloading only with press mounts (for my Lee presses) and reloading hand tools on a pegboard behind bench. I built another bench into the wall on a "long side", also 8' and have drilled and installed 5/16" tee nuts so I can temporarily bolt down different power tools (I mount a tool [like a grinder or small vice] on a board then bolt the board on the bench). I'm getting up in age so I need good lighting and have a 6', 4 bulb fluorescent light and three 100 watt "directional" lights over the benches. Workshop is completed with a HF tool stand w/bench drill press, Stack-On gun cabinet, and Craftsman steel cabinet (4'x8'x28") and my CD player w/remote mounted speakers... Yep, as my wife calls it; "My home away from home"...
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have an old school Harvest Gold all metal filing cabinet for lead, bullets, primers, powder, and brass.

I have two benches. One small bench originally used for loading then transformed to casting when I started that and got a new to me bigger loading bench. I've since added a computer to my garage so its keyboard and monitor take up the casting bench right now aside from the RCBS PID controlled heated luber/sizer that's mounted permanently.

I put all the casting stuff on the shelf over the big bench where the tumbler, toaster oven, case separator, lube making supplies, turkey fryer and Dutch oven (smelter) and original boxes go. On that overhead shelf I have all my sandpaper, chemicals, cleaning supplies, and lots of other non-gun related items.

I can put the computer monitor away when it's time to cast.

The loading bench has two single stage Lee presses and the rest of the smaller gear.

Under the bench is where I store packing supplies (small boxes, bubble wrap, plastic bags), Dremmel kit, empty coffee cans for sorting/storing, a tarp, paints and stains, empty gallon vinegar jugs (you can make all kinds of items from them), the rag pile, spare discarded kitchen items that are super helpful and all manner of other man things.

I have a tool box for most tools. I really don't have a lot at home since I never work at home and have spent plenty on the tools that stay at work. Some tools are on the wall. I have a small drawer unit on the wall to organize small things. On the far left you'll see a .50cal can of 5.56LC brass that's at the trim stage (hence the project has stalled - 836 pieces to trim) plus once fired .45, 9mm, and .38 Special awaiting de-prime and size.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Old Scribe »

90% of my reloading is done on a work bench in the garage, 16' x 3'. I also use it for home repair jobs, making powder horns, and anything else that might crop up. It is covered with Masonite, holes drilled in the top for my presses and shotgun reloaders.
My bullet casting is done on the top of my table saw, powder stored in a powder box under the work bench and brass, bullets, primers, moulds and dies and presses are stored in a large metal cabinet I found at Lowe's.
My gun smithing is done in a room in the house with a sturdy bench with drawers I bought at Harbour Freight.
I'd like to have a shop dedicated to reloading and casting, but it isn't financeable tho' I live on 2 1/2 acres. Like most of us I make do with what I have.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Old Scribe wrote:...... making powder horns, and anything else that might crop up. It is covered with Masonite, holes drilled in the top for my presses and shotgun reloaders......
Masonite is my favorite bench top surface. It inexpensive, cleans up easily, and after one to many hole easy to replace.

Hey post some pictures of your powder horns. I've made a couple, nothing fancy. The last one was from a bison horn. I'm kind of proud of that one.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I have a dedicated casting bench that doubles as a drill press base for the light precision work .
I have a 30x48 to hook the Partner , RCII , A4 Max , Load Master and a couple other antiques on . It holds 3 powder measures and miscellaneous tools hang on the peg board back with an over head shelf for dies . The frame is welded 2x2x3/16" . The work top is 5/8 OSB with the face edge beveled . The edge mount presses are anchored through an over lapping 2.5 x 2.5 x 1/8" angle that is bolted 6 on the face and 1 at each end plus the press bolts . It is quite solid ,though I need to add at least 1 stiffener in the middle , maybe under each of the heavy presses .
I've added a 16"x 6' bench of 1x glued and screwed with a 3" edge . I added 3/4 plywood backers full depth under each of 5 shotgun presses . There is a shelf behind I've tried to keep the 3' wide 6x6" shelves for bullets but it has been over run and they are taking over the shotgun presses these days .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

My reloading bench has to double as a workbench because of space constraints. My presses are mounted on an InlineFabrication quick change ultramount. I got one quick change top plate that I put my vice on, so when I need that, I have to remove the press.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Fyodor wrote: My presses are mounted on an InlineFabrication quick change ultramount. I got one quick change top plate that I put my vice on, so when I need that, I have to remove the press.
Doesn't the ultramount raise the height off the bench? Do you reload standing? I think Dillon calls them "Strong Mounts". I never quite understood how such a mount would make mounting a press stronger:?: I can see how the quick change plates would be very useful.

Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Yes, it does rise the press. But I only bought the "micro" Ultramount, which is only 4" tall, and it is mounted on a quite low table. I needed to bring the press up a bit anyway.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Question Of The Month”