Federal primers on Lee Load Master

jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Federal primers on Lee Load Master

Post by jloader »

Lee Load Master manuals state to only use CCI primers and specifically not to use Federal primers unless you install deflector shield.
My local supplier, Gander hill ;) , is no longer carrying CCI and and Winchesters and has just a few leftovers. The sales guy looked it up on their website and said that they are no longer available in Gander.

I'm loading 38 SPL (small pistol primer).

Is that just a sales pitch talk about not using anything but CCI?
What is your experience in using Federal primers in Load Master?
Should I just look for another supplier that carries CCIs?
Thanks.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Federal primers on Lee Load Master

Post by RBHarter »

Weird that a 1 horse out fit like GM would drop CCI as a vendor. They are just under the Speer and RCBS super Corp name .

There is a thread here that explains why not to use Federal primers with pictures and dimensions. Long short is that the primer feeder doesn't play well with the Federal cup radius and face diameter.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Poppop »

I stopped using CCI small pistol primers on .38 spec. When I shot D/A, gun didn't always fire. CCI is not as thick as the others. Changed to Federal for my Lee safety primer. Check with Lee for a substitute for CCI and Federal like Rem. or Win.
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

A bit late, but maybe still interested:

I loaded about 10k Federal primers on my pro1000 by now, without any detonation. A friend loades about 15k Federal primers on his LoadMaster per year for the last five years. He had one detonation during that time, and he believes it was his fault, when he had a double feed in the priming system and forced both primers in the pocket.

So my conclusion is, that if you don't use excessive force, even Federal primers are safe to use.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
jloader

Post by jloader »

jloader wrote:My local supplier, Gander hill ;) , is no longer carrying CCI ...
update on that - Gander hill is still carrying CCI primers - I guess the salesman misinformed me... they do have a pretty crappy restocking process - it's a hit and miss and they cannot request additional stock - it's all automated reordering but takes weeks to restock the half-empty primer and powder cabinets (according to their department manager).
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

In the last few weeks, I weeks I've seen something published by Lee on exactly how many non-CCI/Rem primers should be loaded in a tray at one time. I'm not sure if it came with the Load Master explosion shield or the half trays. I went out and looked but just cannot find it. I will keep looking as it is not on their website or catalog that I can find.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:In the last few weeks, I weeks I've seen something published by Lee on exactly how many non-CCI/Rem primers should be loaded in a tray at one time. I'm not sure if it came with the Load Master explosion shield or the half trays. I went out and looked but just cannot find it. I will keep looking as it is not on their website or catalog that I can find.

Seems like I read something to that effect also RD. However, I just went and reread the primer portion of the instructions on the LM and it says to only use Winchester or CCI UNLESS you have the explosion shield in place. So to me, that says you can use any primer you want as long as that's in place....I use a lot of Federal SPP on my LM. Not sure, but maybe the information about the number of (non CCI, Winchester) primers W/O the shield was maybe for the Safety Prime or perhaps the Auto Prime 2 where no shield is available. :?:
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

For what it is worth this is a cut and paste listed below I found some time ago about primer from Cast Boolits.

Test Procedure: Using a Lee Hardness Tester that measures Brinell hardness, placed a new primer on a piece of steel. Held the indent ball on the primer for 30 seconds. Measurement is the diameter of the indent, smaller numbers indication harder brass
Additions = *
Pistol Primers
0.32 – CCI 300 LP ... Hardest Cup
0.38 – Federal GM150 Match LP
0.40 – Federal 155 LP Magnum
0.40 – Winchester WLP
0.42 – Federal 150 LP
0.42 - Federal 100 SP
*0.42 – Remington 1 ½ SP
0.44 – CCI 400 SP
0.48 – Remington 2 ½ LP ... Tie for softest cup
*0.48 – CCI LP Lot 0264 ... Tie for softest cup

Rifle Primers
*0.24 – Herters 120 LR ,,, Hardest cup
0.26 – CCI BR-2 LR
0.28 – CCI 200 LR
*0.30 – Rem UMC Nickeled High Pressure LR
0.32 – Federal 215 LR Magnum
0.34 – Remington 9 ½ LR
*0.36 – Western 8 ½ LR
*0.38 - Rem 7 ½ Bench Rest
*0.38 – Alcan LR Magnum
*0.40 – Federal 210 LR ... Tie for softest cup
*0.40 – Winchester 115 Staynless LR ... Tie for softest cup
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Bagarocks
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Bagarocks »

I had about 90 Federal primers go off all at once a few years ago. A primer some how got sideways and went off igniting all the primers in the feeder. Thank God for the blast plate! Had ringing ears for HOURS!!!
Blast plate was bent in a concave manner. I was cleaning up my basement this weekend and found a couple more pieces from the primer tray. I no longer will longer prime on any progressive press. I now use ram prime one at a time, tried the Lee Bench prime it broke after 60 cases.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Bagarocks wrote:I had about 90 Federal primers go off all at once a few years ago. A primer some how got sideways and went off igniting all the primers in the feeder. Thank God for the blast plate! Had ringing ears for HOURS!!!
Blast plate was bent in a concave manner. I was cleaning up my basement this weekend and found a couple more pieces from the primer tray. I no longer will longer prime on any progressive press. I now use ram prime one at a time, tried the Lee Bench prime it broke after 60 cases.
Yeah, that's not good. Did Lee make the Bench Prime good?
Michael

Return to “On Press Priming”